Eighth Battle of the Isonzo
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013)|
|Eighth Battle of the Isonzo|
|Part of the Italian Front
(First World War)
|Kingdom of Italy||Austria-Hungary|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Luigi Cadorna||Svetozar Boroević|
|20 divisions||14 divisions|
|Casualties and losses|
|25,000 killed, wounded, missing or captured||25,000 killed, wounded, missing or captured|
The Eighth Battle of the Isonzo, fought briefly from 10–12 October 1916, was essentially a continuation of attempts made during the Seventh Battle of the Isonzo (14–17 September 1916) to extend the bridgehead established at Gorizia during the Sixth Battle of the Isonzo in August 1916.
Italian Chief of Staff Luigi Cadorna was determined to continue Italian attacks to the left of the town, a policy that continued during the following (ninth) battle - with an equal lack of success.
As with the earlier, Seventh, attack, heavy Italian casualties required that the short, sharp concentrated initiative be called off pending the army's recuperation.
The seemingly interminable Isonzo onslaught was next renewed with the Ninth Battle of the Isonzo on 1 November 1916, the fifth and final attack of the year.
- First Battle of the Isonzo - 23 June 1915 – 7 July 1915
- Second Battle of the Isonzo - 18 July 1915 – 3 August 1915
- Third Battle of the Isonzo - 18 October 1915 – 3 November 1915
- Fourth Battle of the Isonzo - 10 November 1915 – 2 December 1915
- Fifth Battle of the Isonzo - 9–17 March 1916
- Sixth Battle of the Isonzo - 6–17 August 1916
- Seventh Battle of the Isonzo - 14–17 September 1916
- Ninth Battle of the Isonzo - 1–4 November 1916
- Tenth Battle of the Isonzo - 12 May 1917 – 8 June 1917
- Eleventh Battle of the Isonzo - 19 August 1917 – 12 September 1917
- Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo - 24 October 1917 – 7 November 1917 also known as the Battle of Caporetto
- Schindler, John R. (2001). Isonzo: The Forgotten Sacrifice of the Great War. Praeger. ISBN 0275972046. OCLC 44681903.
- FirstWorldWar.Com: The Battles of the Isonzo, 1915-17
- Battlefield Maps: Italian Front
- 11 battles at the Isonzo
- The Walks of Peace in the Soča Region Foundation. The Foundation preserves, restores and presents the historical and cultural heritage of the First World War in the area of the Isonzo Front for the study, tourist and educational purposes.
- The Kobarid Museum (in English)
- Društvo Soška Fronta (in Slovenian)
- Pro Hereditate - extensive site (in En/It/Sl)