|Awards||Suffrage Science award (2014)|
|Thesis||Genetic dissection of the major histocompatibility complex in juvenile oligoarthritis (2002)|
Eleftheria Zeggini (Greek: Ελευθερία Ζεγγίνη) is a director of the institute of translational genomics in Helmholtz Zentrum München and a professor at the Technical University of Munich (TUM). Previously she served as a research group leader at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute from 2008 to 2018 and an honorary professor in the department of health sciences at the University of Leicester in the UK.
Zeggini was educated at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) where she was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry in 1999. She continued her studies on the immunogenetics of the major histocompatibility complex in childhood arthritis at the Arthritis Research UK epidemiology unit at the University of Manchester, and was awarded a PhD in 2002.
Career and research
Following her PhD, Zeggini was a postdoctoral researcher at the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics at the University of Oxford where she later became a Wellcome Trust research career development fellow. She has been a group leader at the Sanger since 2008. As of 2020[update], according to Google scholar and Scopus her most cited work has been published in Science and Nature Genetics.
As of 2015[update] her work investigates the genetics of complex phenotypic traits in humans using genetic association studies to identify novel disease loci. In a study published in 2017, her team reported the discovery of a genetic variant in Mediterranean Cretan villagers that protected them against the harmful effects of 'bad' fats and cholesterol as well as decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Awards and honours
- Γιάννης, Δεβετζόγλου (17 January 2014). "Ελευθερία Ζεγγίνη: Η γενετίστρια που έκανε διάσημα τα Ανώγεια". tanea.gr (in Greek). Athens: Ta Nea. Archived from the original on 28 July 2014.
- Eleftheria Zeggini publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics – Eleftheria Zeggini". ox.ac.uk. Oxford: University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 18 November 2009.
- Eleftheria Zeggini publications from Europe PubMed Central
- "Star geneticist Eleftheria Zeggini leaves Cambridge to join Helmholtz Munich". helmholtz-muenchen.de. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- Eleftheria Zeggini's ORCID 0000-0003-4238-659X
- "Driving gender equality in science |". European Bioinformatics Institute. Retrieved 14 January 2020.
- "People in the Department of Health Sciences". University of Leicester. Archived from the original on 1 November 2015.
- Eleftheria Zeggini on Twitter
- Eleftheria Zeggini publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- "Professor Eleftheria Zeggini, Group Leader". Hinxton: Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. Archived from the original on 11 November 2015.
- Zeggini, Eleftheria (2002). Genetic dissection of the major histocompatibility complex in juvenile oligoarthritis. manchester.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Manchester. OCLC 642917758. Archived from the original on 24 November 2015. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- Zeggini, E. (2002). "Tumour necrosis factor receptor II polymorphism and juvenile idiopathic arthritis". Rheumatology. 41 (4): 462–465. doi:10.1093/rheumatology/41.4.462. ISSN 1460-2172. PMID 11961180.
- Frayling, T. M.; Timpson, N. J.; Weedon, M. N.; Zeggini, E.; Freathy, R. M.; Lindgren, C. M.; Perry, J. R. B.; et al. (2007). "A Common Variant in the FTO Gene is Associated with Body Mass Index and Predisposes to Childhood and Adult Obesity". Science. 316 (5826): 889–94. Bibcode:2007Sci...316..889F. doi:10.1126/science.1141634. PMC 2646098. PMID 17434869.
- Zeggini, E.; Weedon, M. N.; Lindgren, C. M.; Frayling, T. M.; Elliott, K. S.; Lango, H.; Timpson, N. J.; et al. (2007). "Replication of Genome-Wide Association Signals in UK Samples Reveals Risk Loci for Type 2 Diabetes". Science. 316 (5829): 1336–1341. Bibcode:2007Sci...316.1336Z. doi:10.1126/science.1142364. PMC 3772310. PMID 17463249.
- Zeggini, Eleftheria; Scott, Laura J; Saxena, Richa; Voight, Benjamin F; Marchini, Jonathan L; Hu, Tianle; de Bakker, Paul IW; Abecasis, Gonçalo R; Almgren, Peter; Andersen, Gitte; Ardlie, Kristin; et al. (2008). "Meta-analysis of genome-wide association data and large-scale replication identifies additional susceptibility loci for type 2 diabetes". Nature Genetics. 40 (5): 638–645. doi:10.1038/ng.120. ISSN 1061-4036. PMC 2672416. PMID 18372903.
- Willer, Cristen J; Speliotes, Elizabeth K; Loos, Ruth J F; Li, Shengxu; Lindgren, Cecilia M; Heid, Iris M; Berndt, Sonja I; Elliott, Amanda L; Jackson, Anne U; Lamina, Claudia; Lettre, Guillaume; et al. (2008). "Six new loci associated with body mass index highlight a neuronal influence on body weight regulation". Nature Genetics. 41 (1): 25–34. doi:10.1038/ng.287. ISSN 1061-4036. PMC 2695662. PMID 19079261.
- Zeggini, Eleftheria (2011). "Next-generation association studies for complex traits". Nature Genetics. 43 (4): 287–288. doi:10.1038/ng0411-287. ISSN 1061-4036. PMC 3435533. PMID 21445070.
- Crawford, Dana C.; Babron, Marie-Claude; de Tayrac, Marie; Rutledge, Douglas N.; Zeggini, Eleftheria; Génin, Emmanuelle (2012). "Rare and Low Frequency Variant Stratification in the UK Population: Description and Impact on Association Tests". PLOS ONE. 7 (10): e46519. Bibcode:2012PLoSO...746519B. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0046519. ISSN 1932-6203. PMC 3465327. PMID 23071581.
- "Cretans don't get heart disease despite high-fat diet due to good genes". uk.news.yahoo.com. Yahoo!. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Sanger Institute researcher becomes Suffrage Science awardee". Wellcome Sanger Institute. 13 October 2014. Retrieved 22 November 2020.