Elfed High School
This article does not cite any sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Elfed High School|
|Headteacher||Rosemary A Jones OBE|
The student population is around 650 and growing. It is a predominantly English speaking school, but the Welsh language and ethos is integrated throughout the broad ranging curriculum offered to students. The Elfed is maintained by the Flintshire Local Education Authority.
Opened in 1954, the school was named after Hywel Elfed Lewis 1860-1953, the renowned bard and scholar who served as Archdruid of the National Eisteddfod of Wales from 1924 to 1928. In 1967 it became a Senior Comprehensive, serving a wide catchment area, including Buckley, Hawarden, Mynydd Isa, Saltney, Caergwrle and Hope. The school became fully comprehensive in 1973, serving the communities of Buckley, Mynydd Isa, Drury and surrounding areas. The main partner primary schools are Southdown, Westwood, Mountain Lane and Drury schools, but the school also attracts pupils from a number of others. Students from outside the normal catchment area who choose to attend the Elfed HS use public transport. The vast majority of students use bicycles or walk to school.
From September 2015 the Elfed HS education provision was re-categorized by the Flintshire Local Authority from 11-18 to 11-16.
- Ann Keen (née Fox), Labour MP for Brentford and Isleworth
- Sylvia Heal (née Fox), Labour MP for Halesowen and Rowley Regis
- Kim Ashfield, winner of Miss United Kingdom and Miss Wales in 1980
- Ryan Shawcross, footballer, Stoke City FC.
- Danny Collins,footballer, Wales and Nottingham Forest FC.
- John Lyons (footballer), Wrexham FC, Millwall FC, Cambridge United FC and Colchester United FC.
Estyn Report 2015 and Best practice reports https://www.estyn.gov.wales/provider/6644011 https://www.estyn.gov.wales/best-practice/learning-directors-literacy-and-numeracy