|Town of Elton|
|Elevation||49 ft (14.9 m)|
|Area||1.6 sq mi (4.1 km2)|
|- land||1.6 sq mi (4 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||765.1/sq mi (295.4/km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Location of Louisiana in the United States
The wife of pioneer settler J. M. Henderson is said to have chosen the name Elton for her home town from a book in which she read of an English town named Elton. That was probably the town on the northwest coast of England in County Durham near Middlesbrough. Elton was incorporated as a village in 1911.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,261 people, 489 households, and 342 families residing in the town. The population density was 765.1 people per square mile (295.1/km²). There were 574 housing units at an average density of 348.3 per square mile (134.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 55.83% White, 39.10% African American, 2.06% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.40% from other races, and 2.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.03% of the population.
There were 489 households out of which 32.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.9% were married couples living together, 17.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.9% were non-families. 26.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the town, the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 14.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 89.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $21,384, and the median income for a family was $28,359. Males had a median income of $22,500 versus $16,417 for females. The per capita income for the town was $10,713. About 26.6% of families and 32.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 43.8% of those under age 18 and 23.1% of those age 65 or over.
Jefferson Davis Parish Library operates the Elton Branch at 813 Main Street.
- Al Woods- American football player. Graduated from Louisiana State University and was drafted by the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League in the 2010 NFL Draft. Currently plays defensive tackle for the Indianapolis Colts.
- www.carencrohighschool.org "Elton named for town in Middlesbrough, England"
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Schools". Jefferson Davis Parish Schools. Retrieved March 26, 2017.