|Born||1947 Age 74|
|Occupation||Group Managing Director of Peninsula Business Services|
|Spouse(s)||Anna Done (m.1970)|
|Awards||Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award, Service Industries Award, Glassdoor Employee's Choice Award|
Born in Salford, England, Peter Done has three siblings. His brother is Fred Done. He attended Trafford Road School. At age 15, he left school along with his brother to work at their father’s illegal bookmaking business. At 17, Done managed a betting shop for another company. “You weren’t even allowed in betting shops until you were 18, and I was managing one at 17”. At age 21, he acquired his own shop in Pendleton, England.
In 1967, Done co-founded his own bookmaking business with his brother using money they received betting on the 1966-67 World Cup. Originally, their business was named Done Brothers, but eventually it was changed to its current ‘Betfred.’ In its early days Betfred was a family business; Done, his brother, their father, their mother and both of their wives helped run the store throughout the week. Done’s role at the time was as a sales and marketing director.
The 1967 United Kingdom foot-and-mouth outbreak caused many bookmaking businesses to close. Betfred managed to stay afloat by pivoting from horse racing — the major sport that involved betting — to afternoon dog racing.
After 12 months of successfully being in business, Done and his brother decided to expand by buying another storefront. They bought their new shop at £250 and made the money back within the week. Peter managed the second shop while his brother Fred stayed at the first one. Their sister would go on to manage their third shop.
As of 2018 Betfred has over 1,650 shops and a turnover of approximately £10 billion.
Peninsula Business Services
In 1983 Done and his brother co-founded “Professional Personnel and Management Services Limited” after having to pay £9,000 to settle an employment tribunal. In 2016 this company later became Peninsula Business Services (Peninsula). “We literally tossed a coin, I won, and Fred said ‘you got Peninsula’". The business didn’t find success until Done identified its potential and decided to focus his abilities and time on it. He planned to advertise its services on the road for six months, then return to work with his brother at Betfred. “I was supposed to be coming back from Peninsula after six months and we were going to get a manager in, but 35 years later I’m still in the business". As of 2021, Peter Done is the founder and current managing director of Peninsula.
Peninsula offers advice and counselling to staff of the public sector. As of 2018 Peninsula has over 60,000 businesses subscribed to its services, serves over 30,000 clients, and is made up of over 2,700 staff members. The business operates in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. As of 2019, Peninsula began successful expansion in Ireland despite uncertainty caused by Brexit in 2020.
The Canadian Peninsula branch houses over 200 employees, 3,000 clients, and operates in three Canadian provinces (Peninsula Team, 2020).
In 2013, Done injected a cash investment of £1.6 million to improve and develop the HROnline app. This app helped employers manage different types of HR activities such as sickness, employment, holidays, and lateness recording.
It claims to be the UK’s largest provider of employment law, HR, health & safety and EAP consultancy services. Its subsidiaries include Employsure, Peninsula Canada, Croner Tax, Croneri and Croner Group. The company HQ is based at the Peninsula Building in Manchester and employs over 3000 people worldwide.
In 2019, the Sunday Times estimated his net worth at £1.25 billion.
In May 2012, Peninsula Business Services acquired a 65% share of Employsure, an Australian advising firm specializing in industrial relations, which was registered as a company in 2011. The business claims to be the largest in its sector with over 20,000 clients in Australia and 800 employees.
Done, along with his brother, have charitable trusts set up. Their main donations are to children (children hospitals, children’s charities). They once donated one day’s worth of Betfred profits to the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital during the Cheltenham festival. They also once donated £200 per century break played at the Snooker World Championship to the Jessie May children’s charity — the final amount donated was £40,000.
In March 2021, Peninsula raised £1 million for the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital charity. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the increased pressure on the staff, Done decided to increase their pledge to £2 million. Done notes “Peninsula Group are delighted to have reached the remarkable milestone of raising £1 million through our incredible fundraising efforts and the Group matching every donation made. We hope that this impressive donation will help Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital Charity significantly.”
Awards and accolades
In 2020, Peninsula received the first ever Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award for achieving Feefo Gold Standard three successive years in a row. To this Done responded “We’re delighted to receive this award and continue to put our clients at the heart of everything we do. “Achieving the inaugural Feefo Platinum Trusted Service award is special and reflects our team’s commitment to delivering an excellent experience”.
In 2015, Done was shortlisted for the Service Industries award by the Great British Entrepreneur awards (GBE).
On January 28, 2019, Peninsula was awarded the Best Professional Services award in the Metro Toronto Convention Centre at the CanadianSME Business Awards in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The award recognizes the Peninsula group for “providing exceptional product services — HR and Health and Safety advice to business owners across Canada". Ryan Wozniack, Senior Vice President of Operations and Legal notes “We are extremely grateful and honoured to receive this award... Thank you to our founder, Peter Done, who has given us all the resources and support we needed for success in our expansion across Canada".
In 2019, Done was awarded the Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Award. The award highlights top European and North American CEOs that employees most enjoy working for. Done anonymously received a 93% approval rating by his employees at Peninsula to which he responded “It is a privilege to be recognized as part of this fantastic group of highly accomplished leaders. To know this award is based solely on the feedback of our employees makes it even more special.”
Done lives in Salford.
- Roue, Lucy (2018-12-16). "From 'Salford slums' to billionaire businessman - the story of Peter Done". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 2021-05-17.
- Whitear, Sam (2021-01-25). "Peninsula awarded Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award for super service". Business Manchester. Retrieved 2021-05-17.
- "Peninsula Receives Best Professional Services Award at CanadianSME". Peninsula Canada. Retrieved 2021-05-17.
- Whitear, Sam (2019-06-20). "Peninsula MD Peter Done rated as the best CEO in the North West". Business Manchester. Retrieved 2021-05-31.
- "Peter Done - Business Expert, Author at Peninsula UK". Peninsula UK. Archived from the original on 2017-02-16. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- "Who are Fred and Peter Done, the brothers behind Betfred bookmakers?". The Guardian. 2020-01-16. Retrieved 2021-05-17.
- The Betfred Story - The Complete Tale, retrieved 2021-05-17
- "Fred Done | Football Betting | Bookmaking | Betting Players | Football Magazine". web.archive.org. 2008-12-02. Retrieved 2021-05-17.
- "HR professional services firm Peninsula Group growing in Ireland". www.consultancy.uk. 2019-11-08. Retrieved 2021-05-17.
- Davy, Lee (29 November 2013). "Betfred Co Founder Peter Done Invests £3.9m in his Battle Against Sickness & Absence in the UK". calvinayre. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "Peninsula Business Services". Best Companies. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- Bourne, Dianne (13 May 2019). "Manchester's billionaires: who made the Sunday Times rich list 2019".
- Whitear, Sam (2021-04-07). "Peninsula Group raises £1 million for Royal Manchester Children's Hospital Charity". Business Manchester. Retrieved 2021-05-17.
- "Peter Done shortlisted for The Great British Entrepreneur Awards 2015 | Peninsula UK". Peninsula Scotland. Retrieved 2021-05-17.