Emre Kızılkaya (6 July 1982, Istanbul) is a Turkish journalist based in Istanbul, currently working as the managing editor of digital content at the leading Turkish daily Hürriyet and as the Vice President of the National Committee at the Vienna-based International Press Institute.
In 2017, Kızılkaya was awarded in Best Use of Video category by the International News Media Association for producing Turkey’s first VR news story, and as Best Columnist by Turkish Journalists' Association for his articles on how digital transformation affects free speech.
He also won Turkish Journalists' Association‘s Best Digital News Story prize in 2018 with a multimedia long-form story that analyzed the correlations between Google searches and Turkey’s official data, revealing hidden trends and public-interest actionable information on a wide range of issues including migrants, domestic violence, water pollution and terrorism.
Kızılkaya has been extensively interviewed and quoted by the international media, including The New York Times, The Guardian, CNN, BBC, Reuters, Agence France-Presse, Associated Press, Le Figaro, Le Nouvel Observateur, Corriere della Sera, Deutsche Welle, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Asahi Shimbun, South China Morning Post, The Intercept, Yedioth Ahronoth and Al Jazeera.
Throughout his career, Kızılkaya interviewed numerous international leaders including presidents, prime ministers and ministers in Turkey and around the world.
He is a regular contributor for Al-Monitor and The Huffington Post. His personal blog, The Istanbulian, is the first English-language blog of a Turkish journalist who works for a major newspaper.
Kızılkaya has also been contributing to various magazines, including Hürriyet Tarih, a weekly Turkish magazine on popular history in which more than eighty of his articles were published.
Kızılkaya has a B.A degree in Political Science and International Relations from Istanbul University and an M.A degree in Journalism from Marmara University. His dissertation was about ideology, discourse and narrative in New Media.
- "South East Europe Media Organisation;". seemo.org. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Hurriyet Produces Turkey's First VR News Story;". INMA;. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "TGC'nin Türkiye Gazetecilik Başarı Ödülleri sahiplerini buldu;". TGC;. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "TGC'den Hürriyet'e 8 ödül;". TGC;. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Turkish Game Show Pulled After Hinting at Corruption Scandal;". The New York Times;. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Turkish Journalists Face Abuse and Threats Online;". The Guardian;. Retrieved 10 July 2017.
- "Watch CNN Turk's final moments on air before soldiers shut it down". CNN;. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Media Plurality Review; Leveson Inquiry;". The Media Show on BBC 4;. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "In Istanbul, a mosque fit for a sultan;". Reuters. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "Turkey's media reels after 'nightmare' of coup;". AFP. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Journalists face threat of terror charges for reporting;". AP. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Turquie : les partisans d'Erdogan célèbrent l'échec du putsch;". Le Figaro. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "La réponse d'Ankara pourrait encore plus déstabiliser l'Irak;". Le Nouvel Observateur. Archived from the original on 5 January 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2008.
- "Turchia: sesso, cocktail e tabù Giovane scrittrice fa scandalo;". Corriere della Sera. Retrieved 30 January 2008.
- "Making Media Great Again;" (PDF). DW;. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Wasserattacke auf türkische Reporterin;". Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "撃つことためらうな」 地元記者が緊迫の様子語る;". Asahi Shimbun. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Turkey weighs up tenders for defence system;". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Turkey's President Survives Coup Attempt, Thanks in Part to Social Media He So Despises;". The Intercept. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "שיחות מטורקיה: המפגינים באים מכל הזרמים;". Yedioth Ahronoth. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Journalists decry lack of press freedom in Turkey ;". Al Jazeera. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Emre Kizilkaya for Al-Monitor;". Al-Monitor. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Emre Kizilkaya for the Huffington Post;". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Relief, And Fear, Grip Turkey After Bloody Coup Attempt ;". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "The Istanbulian;". blogspot.com. Retrieved 20 February 2010.