Equestrian at the 1900 Summer Olympics
at the Games of the II Olympiad
|Venue||7th arrondissement of Paris|
|No. of events||5|
|Competitors||58 from 8 nations|
|Equestrian at the
1900 Summer Olympics
|Hacks and hunter combined|
At the 1900 Summer Olympics, five equestrian events were contested. Three of these had been considered "Olympic" by the International Olympic Committee in the past. The IOC website currently has affirmed a total of 95 medal events, after accepting, as it appears, the recommendation of Olympic historian Bill Mallon for events that should be considered "Olympic". These additional events include the other two equestrian events. It is not certain how many competitors there were, but it is likely that there were between 37 and 64. Calculation of number of competitors is complicated by the fact that a rider might enter an event multiple times on different horses. Five nations competed in the Olympic jumping events, with three more (Germany, Spain, and Austria) in the other two competitions. There was a female rider, Elvira Guerra, who competed in the hacks and hunter combined event.
An estimated total of 60 riders from 6 nations (excluding riders known to have competed only in the non-jumping events) competed at the Paris Games:
- "Equestrianism at the 1900 Paris Summer Games". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "Paris 1900". International Olympic Committee. Archived from the original on 2017-10-02. Retrieved 2017-10-02.
- Mallon, Bill (1998). The 1900 Olympic Games, Results for All Competitors in All Events, with Commentary. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc. ISBN 978-0-7864-4064-1.
- Mallon has 47 known competitors, giving no estimate for unknowns. Most of the known competitors are in the four-in-hand mail coach event. De Wael claims 16 unknowns and adds a 48th name to the known list, for a total of 64. Both sources include all five events.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Equestrian sports at the 1900 Summer Olympics.|
- International Olympic Committee medal winners database
- De Wael, Herman. Herman's Full Olympians: "Equestrian 1900". Accessed 19 January 2006. Available electronically at .
- Mallon, Bill (1998). The 1900 Olympic Games, Results for All Competitors in All Events, with Commentary. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers. ISBN 0-7864-0378-0.