Ernest Claude Meysey-Thompson (18 February 1859 – 28 February 1944) was a British Army officer and Liberal Unionist Party (later Conservative Party) politician. He sat in the House of Commons from 1906 to 1922 as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Handsworth.
Meysey-Thompson was the sixth son of Sir Henry Meysey-Thompson (later 1st Baron Knaresborough) and his wife Elizabeth, the daughter of Sir John Croft, Bt. He was educated at Eton College and at Trinity College, Cambridge. He joined the army, becoming an officer in the Yorkshire Hussars in 1894, and was promoted to the rank of Captain on 21 May 1902.
However, his father retired from the Commons at the Dissolution of Parliament in January 1906, was raised to the peerage as Baron Knaresborough. As a member of the House of Lords he was disqualified from the House of Commons. At the general election later that month, Ernest stood for his father's old constituency of Handsworth in Staffordshire. He held the seat with a majority of 4,771 votes (21.6%) over his Liberal Party opponent Herbert Leon, a former MP for Buckingham. He was re-elected at both the January and December elections in 1910.
The Liberal Unionists had merged with the Conservative Party in 1912, and at the 1918 general election Meysey-Thompson was re-elected as a Coalition Conservative. He stood down from Parliament at the 1922 general election.
- Debrett's House of Commons, and the Judicial Bench. London: Dean & Son. 1901. p. 155. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- The London Gazette: . 21 August 1894. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 20 May 1902.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. pp. 424, 385. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- The London Gazette: . 5 January 1906. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918–1949 (3rd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 85. ISBN 0-900178-06-X.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Ernest Meysey-Thompson
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Henry Meysey-Thompson, Bt
|Member of Parliament for Handsworth