|President of the Supreme Court of Israel|
Assumed office |
26 October 2017
|Preceded by||Miriam Naor|
|Justice of the Supreme Court of Israel|
26 March 2004 – 26 October 2017
October 16, 1953|
|Alma mater||Tel Aviv University|
Esther Hayut (Hebrew: אסתר חיות; born 16 October 1953) is the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Israel. She was sworn in on 26 October 2017, and is expected to serve as Chief Justice until October 2023.
Esther Hayut (née: Esti) was born in Herzliya in the Shaviv ma'abara (today the Yad HaTesha neighborhood) to Yehuda and Yehudit Avni, who were both Romanian Holocaust survivors. Her parents divorced when she was a toddler, and her father emigrated to the United Kingdom. She grew up in her grandparents' home in the Neve Amal neighborhood of Herzliya. At age 17, she moved to Eilat to live with her mother, who had remarried. She completed high school in Eilat in 1971. After graduating high school, she was conscripted into the Israel Defense Forces, where she served in the military music band of Central Command. After her discharge from the army, Hayut attended law school at Tel Aviv University, graduating in 1977. During her law studies, she also met her husband, David Hayut, with whom she had two sons. Hayut interned at the law firm of Haim Yosef Zadok, a former Israeli Minister of Justice, where she stayed on to work as an associate lawyer between 1977 and 1985. After leaving the firm, Hayut opened an independent office together with her husband, specializing in commercial and tort law.
In March 1990 Hayut was appointed as a judge in the Tel Aviv Magistrate Court, and in 1996 was appointed to the Tel Aviv District Court where she gained tenure in 1997. In March 2003 Hayut was appointed a Justice of the Supreme Court of Israel, where she gained tenure in March 2004.
- "High Court Rejects MK Haneen Zoabi's Petition to Overturn Suspension". Haaretz. 10 December 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "For Third Time, Female Justice Elected to Head Israel's Supreme Court". The Tower. 6 June 2017.
- "Esther Hayut named Supreme Court president - Globes English". Globes (in Hebrew). 5 September 2017.
- "Meet Esther Hayut, the Pop Star Who Just Became Israel's Chief Justice". Tablet Magazine. 5 September 2017.
- "Justice Esther Hayut Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Supreme Court of Israel.
- Hovel, Revital (5 September 2017). "Esther Hayut Appointed to Be Israel's Next Supreme Court President". Haaretz.
- "Esther Hayut sworn in as chief justice amid bid to curb judiciary". The Times of Israel. 26 October 2017.
- Harkov, Lahav (26 May 2015). "Esther Hayut named new Central Elections Committee head". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Esther Hayut sworn in as Supreme Court president". Ynetnews. 26 October 2017.