Eugene F. Stoermer
Eugene Filmore Stoermer
|Died||17 February 2012 (aged 77)|
|Alma mater||Iowa State University|
|Known for||diatoms study|
|Fields||Botany and Ecology|
Eugene F. Stoermer (March 7, 1934 – February 17, 2012) was a leading researcher in diatoms, with a special emphasis on freshwater species of the North American Great Lakes. He was a professor of biology at the University of Michigan School of Natural Resources and Environment.
His Bachelor of Science degree was obtained in 1958 and his Doctor of Science in 1963, both from Iowa State University. His doctoral thesis was "Post-pleistocene diatoms from Lake West Okoboji, Iowa" 
Stoermer originally coined and used the term Anthropocene from the early 1980s to refer to the impact and evidence for the effects of human activity on the planet earth. The word was not used in general culture until it was popularized in 2000 by Nobel Prize-winning atmospheric chemist Paul Crutzen and others who regard the influence of human behavior on Earth's atmosphere in recent centuries as so significant as to constitute a new geological epoch.
He is the co-author with J. P. Smol of The Diatoms Applications for the Environmental and Earth Sciences. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1999. ISBN 0511155069; According to WorldCat, the book is held in 1262 libraries 
Named after him
Diatom genera — Stoermeria J.P. Kociolek, L. Escobar & S. Richardon, 1996.
- Amphora stoermerii M. Edlund & Z. Levkov, 2009
- Amphorotia stoermeri D.M. Williams & G. Reid, 2006
- Colliculoamphora stoermeri G. Reid & D.M. Williams, 2009
- Encyonema stoermeri S.A. Spaulding, J.R. Pool & S.I. Castro, 2010
- Encyonopsis stoermeri H. Lange-Bertalot & D. Metzeltin, 2009
- Frustulia stoermeri H. Lange-Bertalot & D. Metzeltin, 2009
- Gomphonema stoermeri J.P. Kociolek & J.C. Kingston, 1999
- Gomphosphenia stoermeri J.P. Kociolek & E.W. Thomas, 2009
- Navicula stoermeri J.P. Kociolek & B. de Reviers, 1996
- Neidium stoermeri E.W. Thomas & J.P. Kociolek, 2008
- Pinnularia stoermeri D. Metzeltin & H. Lange-Bertalot, 2007
- Surirella stoermerii R.L. Lowe, 1973
- WorldCat title entry
- Revkin, Andrew C. (May 11, 2011). "Confronting the 'Anthropocene'". New York Times. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- WorldCat book entry
- Stoermer, Eugene F., John Patrick Kociolek, Edward C. Theriot, and R. Jan Stevenson. Diatom Taxonomy, Ultrastructure, and Ecology: Modern Methods and Timeless Questions : a Tribute to Eugene F. Stoermer. Berlin: J. Cramer, 2009. ISBN 9783443510572
- Eugene F. Stoermer (1934—2012) — Obituary, 2012.