European Platform of Women Scientists
European Platform of Women Scientists logo
|Legal status||Non-profit organization|
|Purpose||Umberella network of women scientists and organisations committed to gender equality in research in all disciplines.|
The European Platform of Women Scientists EPWS is an umbrella organisation bringing together networks of women scientists and organisations committed to gender equality in research in all disciplines in Europe 27 and the countries associated to the European Union’s Framework Programmes for Research and Technological Development. The Platform welcomes researchers working in any discipline and working in science in its widest sense, ranging from natural to social sciences, including, but not restricted to, science, engineering and technology. EPWS currently counts more than 100 member organisations, together working for more than 12.000 women researchers all over Europe active in academia and in industrial research.
Legally established as an international non-profit organisation under Belgian law (AISBL) in November 2005  and governed by an international, multidisciplinary Board of Administration of 11 high ranking women scientists, EPWS constitutes a new strategic instrument in European research policy, complementing various initiatives taken at the European level to ensure a better participation of women scientists in research and in the research policy process as well as the inclusion of the gender dimension in research.
The Platform’s main goals are to:
- Network existing networks of women scientists and networks engaged in promoting women scientists in all disciplines and promote networking among women scientists, particularly in Central and Eastern Europe and in the private sector.
- Increase the participation of women scientists in European research and its decision-making bodies – as project researchers, leaders, and coordinators, in review and evaluation panels as well as high level expert groups.
- Increase the participation of women scientists in national and European research programmes, especially in the Seventh EU Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development (FP7).
- Promote the understanding and the inclusion of the gender dimension in science and research policy in all scientific fields as well as an inclusive, gender-sensitive notion of excellence and innovation.
- Gender Balance as a Precondition – Requirements for a Strong Scientific Culture in the European Research Area, book contribution by Maren Jochimsen and Brigitte Mühlenbruch, in: Encouragement to Advance – Supporting Women in European Science Careers, Anke Lipinsky (ed.), cews.Beiträge Frauen in Wissenschaft und Forschung No.5, Bielefeld: Kleine Verlag 2009, pp. 11-24.
- Preparing Europe for a New Renaissance, A Strategic View of the European Research Area, First Report of European Research Area Board, 2009, p. 18
- The voice of women scientists in EU research policy – The establishment of the European Platform of Women Scientists as a new strategic instrument in EU research policy, book contribution by Pauleen Colligan and Maren Jochimsen, in: Encouragement to Advance – Supporting Women in European Science Careers, Anke Lipinsky (ed.), cews.Beiträge Frauen in Wissenschaft und Forschung No.5, Bielefeld: Kleine Verlag 2009, pp. 184-199
- News Alert: Launch Event, European Platform of Women Scientists, European Commission DG Research, 28 March 2006
- Benchmarking policy measures for gender equality in science, European Commission Directorate-General for Research Communication Unit, 2009, p.29
- Women in Science in Europe: EU Policies for the Promotion of Women Scientists and the Role of the European Platform of Women Scientists in Shaping Them World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, Emmanuelle Causse, September 7 - 12, 2009
- Study on Networks of Women Scientists Recommendations Report, Bradley Dunbar Associates, 2003, p. 3