This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Genres||Progressive metal, power metal|
|Labels||Napalm Records, AFM, Inside Out|
|Members||Tom S. Englund|
|Past members||Patrick Carlsson|
Hannes Van Dahl
Evergrey was formed in 1995 in Gothenburg, Sweden as a progressive power metal band, in contrast to the melodic death metal that Gothenburg is known for. Since then, the band's lyrics have always been of the darker sort, and the same can be said of the band's imagery. The Dark Discovery was recorded in 1996 and released in 1998, and Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy was recorded and released in 1999. While those two albums dealt with a variety of ideas, many later albums have been concept albums, dealing with issues like paranoia and alien abduction in In Search of Truth (2001).
Recreation Day, released in 2003, is an album that covers many issues, ranging from death and mourning to general fear and sorrow, all of which contribute to a greater concept of self-reformation. These ideas are explored from many different points of view, such as someone contemplating suicide ("As I Lie Here Bleeding"), mourners after a funeral ("I'm Sorry", a cover of Dilba Demirbag's hit), and dying people's looking back on their "unforgivable" sins ("Unforgivable"). "Unforgivable" also acted as a catalyst for the next album, The Inner Circle (2004), which expanded on the issues described in the song: cults, religion and child abuse.
Later that year, Evergrey played at many festivals throughout Europe: among others, Sweden Rock Festival, Download Festival, Arvika Festival, Masters of Rock, Storsjöyran and Sziget Festival. From 5 to 30 May, the band toured the United States with In Flames, Nevermore and Throwdown. On 15 September, they headlined Prog Power VII in Atlanta, Georgia.
On 24 October 2006, Evergrey started a new European tour. They were supported by fellow Swedish death metal band Avatar, and they visited Germany, Italy, Spain, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, the United Kingdom, Denmark, and Sweden.
Evergrey released their seventh studio album, Torn, in September 2008, continuing with their trademark lyrical themes of desperation and despair. Jari Kainulainen permanently filled the role on 6 August 2007, who also played bass on Torn.
On 8 May 2008, Evergrey announced that they had signed a deal with Steamhammer/SPV. This included the release of their new album and the entire back catalogue. It also was announced that the new album, Torn, would be released early in September 2008. As the deal includes the band's entire back catalog, there is the possibility of re-releases of previous Evergrey albums with the inclusion of added bonus material.
In May 2010, it was announced that Jonas Ekdahl, Henrik Danhage and Jari Kainulainen have all left Evergrey by mutual decision because of problems with the band members interacting with each other. They called it quits as to not ruin the friendship they all have with each other.
An article posted on 13 November 2010 on Evergrey's blog contained dates for upcoming concerts as well as the confirmation of a new album titled Glorious Collision on 28 February 2011.
Via Facebook posts in November 2013, while writing the next Evergrey album due for release in 2014, the band first confirmed that drummer Hannes Van Dahl would be leaving the band to join Sabaton full-time, and then due to "problems working together" guitarist Marcus Jidell would also be leaving.
In August 2014, the release of the music video for "King of Errors" from the forthcoming Hymns for the Broken revealed that Henrik Danhage and Jonas Ekdahl had returned to the band. Hymns for the Broken was released in September 2014. The band released two more albums after that, The Storm Within in 2016 and The Atlantic in 2019. Those three albums were mixed and mastered by Jacob Hansen and form a conceptual trilogy.
On 26 August 2021 Evergrey announced they signed a new deal with Napalm Records and are already working on a new album.
On 24 February 2022 Evergrey announced the release of their thirteenth studio album, A Heartless Portrait (The Orphean Testament), which was released on Napalm Records on 20 May 2022.
Tom S. Englund
- The Dark Discovery (1998)
- Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy (1999)
- In Search of Truth (2001)
- Recreation Day (2003)
- The Inner Circle (2004)
- Monday Morning Apocalypse (2006)
- Torn (2008)
- Glorious Collision (2011)
- Hymns for the Broken (2014)
- The Storm Within (2016)
- The Atlantic (2019)
- Escape Of The Phoenix (2021)
- A Heartless Portrait (The Orphean Testament) (2022)
- "#6 debut on the Swedish charts!". Evergrey.net. 31 March 2006. Archived from the original on 12 October 2006. Retrieved 24 October 2006.
- "Evergrey tour dates archive". Evergrey.net. 6 October 2006. Archived from the original on 12 October 2006. Retrieved 24 October 2006.
- "Evergrey European tour announced". Evergrey.net. 28 September 2006. Archived from the original on 12 October 2006. Retrieved 24 October 2006.
- "Evergrey European tour dates". Evergrey.net. 28 September 2006. Archived from the original on 12 October 2006. Retrieved 24 October 2006.
- "So, here he is!". Evergrey.net. 6 August 2007. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 6 August 2007.
- "Evergrey.net - The Official Home of Evergrey". Evergrey.net. 8 May 2008. Archived from the original on 12 September 2008. Retrieved 11 May 2009.
- "Time for some changes". Evergrey.net. 7 May 2010. Archived from the original on 14 May 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2010.
- "About the upcoming concerts and the new album!". Archived from the original on 1 December 2010. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- "Evergrey To Release 'Hymns For The Broken' In September". Blabbermouth.net. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "EVERGREY: 'The Atlantic' Album Details Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. 19 October 2018. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "Progressive Metallers EVERGREY Announce Arrival of New Album "Escape Of The Phoenix" for February 2021". Sonic Perspectives. 30 November 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- Hobson, Robson (12 December 2021). "Top 10 prog metal albums of 2021". Metal Hammer. Future plc. Retrieved 2 January 2022.
- "EVERGREY Signs Worldwide Record Deal with Napalm Records". 26 August 2021.
- "EVERGREY Announces 'A Heartless Portrait (The Orphean Testament)' Album, Releases 'Save Us' Music Video". 24 February 2022.