|Studio album by Michael Bolton|
|Genre||AOR, glam metal, pop rock|
Randy Goodrum (track 6 only)
|Michael Bolton chronology|
The lead guitarist on the album is Bruce Kulick, later of KISS fame. The title track was a minor hit on hard rock radio stations, and was also featured in the 1986 movie Back to School. It was reissued overseas in the mid-1990s with a then-current photo on the cover. The album was reissued on February 25, 2008 by Rock Candy Records, UK on CD with a 12-page full colour booklet with original and new artwork.
Given the contrast in musical style between this album and the majority of Bolton's later (and more successful) musical output, songs from the album rarely appear on Bolton compilations. Interestingly, however, the title track was included on Bolton's entry in the Playlist series of Greatest Hits compilations.
Producer Neil Kernon described how he became involved with the album: "Well, I got a call from Michael's manager asking me if I'd be interested. I'd heard "Fools Game" [from his previous album, Michael Bolton] and liked that, so we met and hit it off straight away. Michael was one of the funniest people I've ever met." Kernon also said that later on, Bolton didn't want to re-release Everybody's Crazy or his self titled 1983 album on CD for fear of confusing and alienating fans of his later adult contemporary music.
Reactions to this album have been extremely mixed.
In their retrospective review, AllMusic criticized Everybody's Crazy for muting Bolton's distinctive vocals, remarking that "much of the time he seemed to be fighting to be heard, and when he was, all he had was a mouthful of cliches to offer."
However, many other sources have hailed the album as one of the finest AOR-based/melodic hard rock releases from the 1980s. The album has an average rating of 88/100 on the hard rock/AOR database Heavy Harmonies.
|1.||"Save Our Love"||Michael Bolton, Mark Mangold||4:05|
|3.||"Can't Turn It Off"||Bolton, Mangold||3:58|
|4.||"Call My Name"||Bolton, Mark Radice||4:14|
|6.||"Desperate Heart"||Bolton, Randy Goodrum||3:59|
|7.||"Start Breaking My Heart"||Bolton, Radice||4:34|
|8.||"You Don't Want Me Bad Enough"||Bolton||3:49|
|9.||"Don't Tell Me It's Over"||Bolton, Jan Mullaney||4:00|
Note that "Desperate Heart" is NOT the same song as the one recorded by the band Rainbow, which included drummer Chuck Burgi.
- Michael Bolton - lead vocals, guitars
- Bruce Kulick - lead guitar (except "Desperate Heart")
- Dennis Feldman - bass guitar, backing vocals
- Chuck Burgi - drums (uncredited on the original release, but credited in the reissue)
- Mark Mangold - keyboards
- Mark Radice - keyboards
- Jan Mullaney - keyboards
- Allan St. John - keyboards
- Lloyd Landesman - keyboards
- Larry Fast - synthesizers
- Schuyler Deale - bass guitar
- Neil Kernon - additional keyboards
- Mark Rivera - saxophone
- Peppy Castro - backing vocals
- Terry Brock - backing vocals
- Joe Cerisano - backing vocals
- Kevin Dukes - guitar on "Desperate Heart"
- Paul Pesco - additional guitar on "Desperate Heart"
- Randy Goodrum - keyboards, drum programming and backing vocals on "Desperate Heart"
- Doug Katsaros - keyboards
|Year||Video||Director||Producer||Production Company||Label||Personnel||Featured In|
|1985||"Everybody's Crazy"(Michael Bolton)||Wayne Isham||Curt Marvis||The New Company||CBS/Columbia||Michael Bolton (vocals), Kevin Reyes (guitar), (bass), (drums)||MTV standard rotation 1985-1987, Rodney Dangerfield's 1986 movie 'Back to School', and MTV's Beavis & Butthead Episode 142 "Green Thumbs" October 11, 1995|
- Starship covered "Desperate Heart" for their 1985 album Knee Deep in the Hoopla.
- Jennifer Rush covered "Call My Name" (with slightly altered lyrics, thus earning Rush a co-writing credit on her version) for her 1987 album Heart Over Mind.
- Heavy Harmonies entry for Everybody's Crazy Retrieved 12-02-2007.
- Michael Bolton - Playlist: The Very Best of Michael Bolton @AllMusic.com Retrieved 6-12-2016.
- Interview with the album's producer, Neil Kernon Retrieved 12-02-2007.
- Ruhlmann, William. "Everybody's Crazy - Michael Bolton". AllMusic. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Michael Bolton On The Net entry for Everybody's Crazy Retrieved 12-02-2007.
- Michael Bolton- Everybody's Crazy (2008 reissue) @Discogs.com Retrieved 4-18-2014.
- "Re: Bolton's Everybody's Crazy legendary drummer?" firstname.lastname@example.org Retrieved 4-18-2014.