Everybody Got Their Something
|Everybody Got Their Something|
|Studio album by|
|Released||May 22, 2001|
|Recorded||2000 at Electric Lady in New York and King Sound, Music Grinder, Glow2 Studios in Los Angeles|
|Producer||Justin Stanley, Mark Ronson, Nikka Costa|
|Nikka Costa chronology|
Everybody Got Their Something was the first album released in 2001 by pop/soul singer Nikka Costa. Although she had released several albums internationally as a child, this was her first release in the United States, and was released on May 22, 2001 by Virgin Records. It peaked at #120 on the Billboard 200 in June 2001. As of 2005 it has shifted 250,000 units in United States.
Uses in media
- The title song "Everybody Got Their Something" was originally released as a single in 2000, and was featured in various media: in the pilot of the television series Arrested Development, as well as the pilot of "Drop Dead Diva," the movies Blue Crush, Coach Carter and All About Steve, an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Felicity, Nip/Tuck, and was used in promos for ABC Daytime. On the strength of the song she then recorded and released the same-titled album a year later.
- The first single, "Like A Feather," was Costa's biggest hit and was used in many of Tommy Hilfiger's advertising campaigns.
- The song "Push & Pull" was featured in the movie Blow starring Johnny Depp, and the video was on the film's DVD release. Prince covered "Push & Pull" on his direct-to-DVD concert Live at the Aladdin Las Vegas with the help of Costa.
- The song "So Have I For You" (co. written by the Beastie Boys) was used in the 2002 Britney Spears movie Crossroads.
|1.||"Like A Feather"||Nikka Costa, Justin Stanley, Mark Ronson||3:55|
|2.||"So Have I For You"||Nikka Costa, Justin Stanley, Michael "Mike D" Diamond, Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz, Adam "MCA" Yauch, John King, Michael Simpson, Matt Dike||5:10|
|3.||"Tug of War"||Nikka Costa, Xavier Cugat||4:32|
|4.||"Everybody Got Their Something"||Nikka Costa, Justin Stanley||4:20|
|6.||"Nikka What?"||Nikka Costa, Justin Stanley, Mark Ronson||0:25|
|7.||"Hope It Felt Good"||Nikka Costa, Mark Anthony Jones, P. Palladino, J. Stanley, M. Ronson||3:52|
|8.||"Some Kind of Beautiful"||Nikka Costa, Justin Stanley||3:05|
|9.||"Nikka Who?"||Terry Ray Costa||0:42|
|10.||"Just Because"||Nikka Costa||3:48|
|11.||"Push & Pull"||Nikka Costa, Justin Stanley||5:27|
|12.||"Corners of My Mind"||Nikka Costa, Justin Stanley, Mark Ronson, J. Zawinut, J. Rein, E. Marrow||5:50|
|13.||"I Don't Want To Be The Rain (Japanese Bonus Track)"||Nikka Costa||4:39|
Several tracks were recorded for Everybody Got Their Something, but later excluded from the final release.
- "Heaven Sinner" appears as a b-side on the "Like A Feather" single and on some promotional copies of the album.
- Early promotional versions of the album featured the tracks "La La La", "Stranger's Way", "Comes Around, Goes Around" and "Rain". The track "Rain" is an extended version of "I Don't Want To Be The Rain", which is featured on the Japanese edition of the album. "Comes Around, Goes Around" has been occasionally performed live.
- A stripped-down, acoustic version of "Push & Pull" is featured on the soundtrack of the 2001 movie Blow.
- An extended version of "Everybody Got Their Something" is featured on the 2009 movie All About Steve.
- "Like A Feather" #53 United Kingdom
- "Push & Pull" (Promo only)
- "Everybody Got Their Something" (Promo only)
- Roth, Kritin (May 21, 2001). "Nikka Costa – Everybody Got Their Something". Archived from the original on September 14, 2008. Retrieved September 4, 2007.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Cinquemani, Sal (August 22, 2001). "Nikka Costa: Everybody Got Their Something". Slant Magazine. Retrieved May 7, 2016.
- Wilson, MacKenzie. "Nikka Costa – Everybody Got Their Something". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved May 7, 2016.
- "Music Billboard Picks". Billboard. April 23, 2005. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- "Like A Feather - Single". Discogs.
- "Nikka Costa - The Sampler (Everybody Got Their Something promo)". Discogs.
- "Live in Tokyo promo featuring the track "Comes Around, Goes Around"". Discogs.
- "Blow (2001)". IMDB.
- "All About Steve (2009)". IMDB.
- "Everybody Got Their Something – Nikka Costa". AllMusic. May 22, 2001. Retrieved May 28, 2012.