FA Cup Final referees
Individuals may be appointed to referee an FA Cup Final only once, a rule that's been in practice since 1902, but they are allowed to have previously appeared as an assistant referee or fourth official.
|“||Whatever else anyone might claim, it is the biggest match of your career as you only referee the final once, you are desperate not to make a mess of it. People are often surprised to learn that you can only do it once but I thoroughly approve of the principle. It is such a special occasion that [...] it would never be as good the second time round. I strongly believe that no one should have all the big games and those who have shown themselves capable of refereeing at the highest level should receive the highest accolade of doing the Cup Final.||”|
Referees and assistants are chosen by the Football Association for their impartiality and their assessed performance scores for previous seasons. Only one referee has ever been replaced under the impartiality rule; Mike Dean agreed to pull out following questions in the media about him being able to referee a Cup Final involving Liverpool as he is from the Wirral, a peninsula situated near the city. Alan Wiley took his place.
Officials are informed of the appointment by the FA Referees' Secretary and sworn to secrecy until a public announcement can be made, usually the following day. There then follows a period of media attention resulting in interviews and features appearing in the national press.
When the Cup Final is held at Wembley Stadium, traditions include the "Eve of the Final" rally at a central London location, where the match officials are guests of honour at a meal provided for by the Referees' Association. Many members of the Association including serving and past Cup Final referees also attend.
Speeches are made and the officials are presented with mementos of the occasion and invited to autograph their refereeing colleagues' Cup Final programmes. The referees usually sleep at White's Hotel, with FA protocol stating that they should not leave the grounds.
On the morning of the Cup Final, the officials take a pre-match walk through Hyde Park before travelling by limousine to Wembley. Once there they are obliged once more to autograph Cup Final programmes and are invited to join any VIPs in the banqueting hall.
For the 2013-14 season the officials' fees for the Cup Final were: referee £375; assistant referees £375 each; fourth official £320 and a souvenir medal each, plus travelling expenses.
Prior to 1915
|1877||S. H. Wright|
|1881||William Peirce Dix|
|1891||Charles J. Hughes|
|1893||Charles J. Hughes|
|1894||Charles J. Hughes|
|1904||A. J. Barker|
|1908||T. P. Campbell|
|1912||J. R. Schumacher|
- Note - Arthur Kingscott was the last referee to referee more than one final; his son, Harry Kingscott, refereed the 1931 final.
1920 to 1939
|1922||J. W. P. Fowler|
|1923||D. H. Asson|
|1927||William Frederick Bunnell|
|1928||T. G. Bryan|
|1938||Arthur James Jewell|
Post-World War II
|1948||C. Jack Barrick|
|Year||Referee||Assistant referees||Fourth official|
|1978||Derek Nippard||J.Bent, J.Lydon||W.Cleere|
|1979||Ron Challis||Keith Hackett, H.Dempsey||W.Harvey|
|1980||George Courtney||Alan Robinson, J.Byles||J.Cunningham|
|1981||Keith Hackett||A.Jones, D.Hutchinson||J.Penrose|
|1982||Clive White||A.Hamil, T. Mitchell||R.Guy|
|1983||Alf Grey||Colin Downey, J.Pardoe||J.Connock|
|1984||John Hunting||A.Saunders, N.Butler||V.Wood|
|1985||Peter Willis||Terry Holbrook, D. Keen||J.Harris|
|1986||Alan Robinson||Robbie Hart, Allan Gunn||C.Topliss|
|1987||Neil Midgley||R. Nixon, J. Hodson||D.James|
|1988||Brian Hill||Mike Pierce, G Tyson||David Redshaw|
|1989||Joe Worrall||Mike Peck, Arthur Smith||Jeff Winter|
|1990||Allan Gunn||L. Watson, C. Reeve||Roger Milford|
|1991||Roger Milford||P. Brennan, P. Newton||Keren Barratt|
|1992||Philip Don||Rob Harris, John Hilditch||Kelvin Morton|
|1993||Keren Barratt||Roy Pearson, Brian Wigginton||Roger Dilkes|
|1994||David Elleray||Paul Rejer, Graham Barber||Gerald Ashby|
|1995||Gerald Ashby||Mark Warren, Steve Bennett||Steve Lodge|
|1996||Dermot Gallagher||Anthony Bates, Peter Walton||Paul Durkin|
|1997||Steve Lodge||David Crick, David Horlick||Peter Jones|
|1998||Paul Durkin||Bill Jordan, Phil Joslin||Graham Barber|
|1999||Peter Jones||David Babski, Philip Sharp||Mike Riley|
|Year||Referee||Assistant referees||Fourth official||Ref(s)|
|2000||Graham Poll||Darren Drysdale, Graeme Atkins||Alan Wiley|
|2001||Steve Dunn||Mike Tingley, Kevin Pike||Steve Bennett|
|2002||Mike Riley||Glenn Turner, Ralph Bone||Mark Halsey|
|2003||Graham Barber||Nigel Miller, Keith Stroud||Mike Dean|
|2004||Jeff Winter||Roger East, Antony Green||Matt Messias|
|2005||Rob Styles||Jim Devine, Paul Canadine||Neale Barry|||
|2006||Alan Wiley||Ceri Richards, Darren Cann||Phil Dowd|||
|2007||Steve Bennett||Peter Kirkup, Dave Bryan||Howard Webb|||
|2008||Mike Dean||Martin Yerby, Trevor Massey||Chris Foy|||
|2009||Howard Webb||Dave Richardson, Mike Mullarkey||Martin Atkinson|||
|Year||Referee||Assistant referees||Fourth official||Reserve assistant referee||Ref(s)|
|2010||Chris Foy||John Flynn, Shaun Procter-Green||Andre Marriner||Stuart Burt|||
|2011||Martin Atkinson||Adam Watts, Simon Beck||Lee Probert||Jake Collin|||
|2012||Phil Dowd||Stuart Burt, Andrew Garratt||Mike Jones||Simon Long|||
|2013||Andre Marriner||Stephen Child, Simon Long||Anthony Taylor||Gary Beswick|||
|2014||Lee Probert||Jake Collin, Mick McDonough||Kevin Friend||Simon Bennett|||
|2015||Jonathan Moss||Darren England, Simon Bennet||Craig Pawson||Harry Lennard|||
|2016||Mark Clattenburg||John Brooks, Andrew Halliday||Neil Swarbrick||Michael Salisbury|||
|2017||Anthony Taylor||Gary Beswick, Marc Perry||Bobby Madley||Adam Nunn|||
Referees with more than one final
|Referee||Number of Finals||Years|
|Francis Marindin||9||1880, 1883, 1884, 1885, 1886, 1887, 1888, 1889, 1890|
|Alfred Stair||3||1872, 1873, 1874|
|Charles J. Hughes||3||1891, 1893, 1894|
|John Lewis||3||1895, 1897, 1898|
|Charles Alcock||2||1875, 1879|
|Charles Clegg||2||1882, 1892|
|Arthur Kingscott||2||1900, 1901|
- Elleray, David (2004). "The Cup Final". The Man in the Middle. London: Time Warner. pp. 110–119. ISBN 0-316-72714-8.
- Davies, Christopher (2006-04-25). "FA replace Cup final referee from the Wirral". London: The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2007-02-06.
- FA Cup Final 2005, report: TheFA.com website.
- Original referee Wirral-based referee Mike Dean was removed from the final after Liverpool made it through to the final. He was replaced by Premier League Select Group Referee, Alan Wiley.
- Original assistant referee Peter Kirkup woke up with a stye in his eye on the morning of the match, which affected his vision. He was replaced by Premier League Select Group Assistant Ref, Ceri Richards.
- "FA replace Cup final referee from the Wirral": Telegraph.co.uk website.
- "Bennett chosen for Final". TheFA.com. The Football Association. Retrieved 22 April 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Dean gets Final spot". TheFA.com. 7 April 2008. Retrieved 21 April 2015.[dead link]
- Mawhinney, Stuart (21 April 2009). "Webb appointed for The Final". TheFA.com. The Football Association. Retrieved 21 April 2015.[dead link]
- "FA Cup Final for Foy". TheFA.com. The Football Association. 13 April 2010. Archived from the original on 15 April 2010. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Atkinson takes Cup Final whistle". TheFA.com. The Football Association. 19 April 2011. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Phil Dowd to referee FA Cup final". The Daily Telegraph. London. 17 April 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- "Marriner to referee FA Cup final". ESPNFC. 17 April 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "Man City 0 - 1 Wigan". bbc.com. BBC. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- Callow, James (21 April 2015). "Jon Moss will referee the 2015 FA Cup Final at Wembley". The FA. Retrieved 21 April 2015.