Faculty of Public Health
The Faculty of Public Health (FPH) is a public health association in the United Kingdom established as a registered charity. It is the standard setting body for public health specialists within the United Kingdom, setting standards for training, examination and specialist practice across the four countries of the UK. It is also a source of knowledge and guidance around public health, and advocates for public health nationally and globally.
The current president is Professor Maggie Rae, who took office in June 2019 for a three-year term.
The Faculty of Public Health (formerly the Faculty of Community Medicine and then the Faculty of Public Health Medicine) was formed in 1972 as a result of a key recommendation of the Royal Commission on Medical Education (1965–68). It was set up as a joint, autonomous faculty by the three Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom (London, Edinburgh and Glasgow).
FPH states its mission as:
Our overarching mission is to promote and protect the health and wellbeing of everyone in society by playing a leading role in assuring an effective public health workforce, promoting public health knowledge and advocating for the very best conditions for good health.
FPH has a paid membership of around 3,600 in several classes:
- Fellows (FFPH) (formerly FFPHM)
- Members (MFPH)
- Trainee Members
- Diplomate Members (DFPH)
- Practitioner Members
- Associate Members
FPH is a member of the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges
FPH is a member of the World Federation of Public Health Associations.
Prizes and awards
FPH has a number of prizes and awards which identify and highlight excellence in public health practice.
Alwyn Smith Prize
The Alwyn Smith Prize is a discretionary prize awarded annually "to the FPH member or fellow judged to have made the most outstanding contribution to the health of the public by either research or practice in community medicine (public health medicine)."
- "FPH about us". Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Royal Commission on Medical Education. 1965-68 Report (Cmnd. 3569 ed.). HMSO. 1968. p. 404.
- "History of FPH". Faculty of Public Health. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "FPH mission". Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Academy of Medical Royal Colleges - Members". Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "World Federation of Public Health Associations". Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "The UK's Faculty of Public Health:Faculty prizes". The UK's Faculty of Public Health. Retrieved 6 March 2012.