Fagbug is a Volkswagen New Beetle owned by Erin Davies of Syracuse, New York, who, in response to graffiti on her car, embarked on a trans-American road trip to raise awareness of LGBT rights.
On April 18, 2007, Davies, an art education graduate student at Sage College of Albany, found the words "fag" and "U R gay" [sic] spray-painted on her car. In response, she dropped out of college and started on a 55,000 mi (89,000 km) trip through 41 U.S. states, during which she interviewed 536 people and spoke out against hate crimes. Davies received sponsorship from Volkswagen Group of America and HD Radio to use for gas money, car expenses, and the film.
- Berk, Brett (February 28, 2010). "The Heartwarming Story of Fagbug". VF Daily. Stick Shift, The Gay Car Blog. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- Raymundo, Oscar (December 19, 2007). "Driven to Spread Awareness". Current Project for Student Journalism. (Newsweek). Archived from the original on July 10, 2009. Retrieved February 28, 2010.
- Stewart, Alison (January 16, 2008). "The Adventures of a Car Named 'Fagbug'". Bryant Park Project. (National Public Radio). Retrieved August 10, 2009.
- Parry, Marc (May 1, 2007). "An act of hatred backfires". Times Union. (timesunion.com). Retrieved August 10, 2009.[dead link]
- Kroll, Morgan (June 19, 2007). "Meet the bloggers: Erin Davies". The Advocate. Archived from the original on 2007-12-19. Retrieved August 10, 2009.
- Smith, K.M. (September 1, 2007). "Activist Debuts the FagBug" (PDF). Curve. (fagbug.com). Retrieved February 28, 2010.
- Jubie, Ken (April 22, 2008). ""Fagbug" turns hate into inspiration". Capital News 9. Retrieved August 10, 2009.
- Kusner, Daniel A. "Erin Davies' Pride Ride". Archived from the original on 2013-12-17. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- Fagbug at IMDb
- Erin Davies Radio Interview, National Public Radio
- Erin Davies Video Interview, Syracuse.com
- Dear Vandal, The Huffington Post
- The Fagbug Reaches All 50 States, The Huffington Post
- Fagbug Filmmaker Is Driven To Fight Intolerance And So Is Her Car, Lexington Herald-Leader
- Fagbug Car Sparks Controversy At High School, Journal Gazette
- Fagbug Vandalized Again, Vanity Fair