Fatmir Mediu in 2006, meeting Donald Rumsfeld (then U.S. Defense Secretary)
|Minister of Defence|
September 11, 2005 – March 18, 2008
|Preceded by||Pandeli Majko|
|Succeeded by||Gazmend Oketa|
21 January 1967 |
Durrës, People's Republic of Albania (now Republic of Albania)
|Political party||Republican Party of Albania|
Fatmir Mediu (born 21 January 1967, Durrës) is an Albanian politician. He is the current Chairman of the Republican Party of Albania, and served as Minister of Defence from September 2005 to March 2008, and Minister of Environment, Forests & Water Administration.
On March 2008, Mediu resigned from his position as Defence Minister following a military ammunition explosion in Gërdec, a village outside of the capital of Albania. The explosion killed 26 people, injured hundreds, and damaged or destroyed over two thousand homes. He was succeeded by Gazmend Oketa.
While Minister of Environment, he quietly oversaw the 2010 Albania floods in the Northern regions of the country, largely caused by poor forest management practices, illegal logging, and heavy rains.
- MEDIU, Fatmir Ali, Parliament of Albania
- Jetlshkrimi, Ministry of Environment, Forests and Water Administration of Albania
- Mediu, Fatmir (25 February 2016). "Dealing with ISIS threat in the Balkans". Europeanpost.co. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Albania minister quits over blast". BBC News. 18 March 2008. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Albania: Minister Resigns After Deadly Blasts". New York Times. Associated Press. 18 March 2008. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
Media related to Fatmir Mediu at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about an Albanian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|