Promotional poster for Fermentation Family
|Also known as||Kimchi Family
|Written by||Kim Ji-woo|
|Directed by||Park Chan-hong|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||24|
|Running time||Wednesdays and Thursdays at 20:45 (KST)|
|Production company(s)||Jidam Inc. (formerly Yein E&M)|
|Original release||7 December 2011– 23 February 2012|
|Followed by||A Wife's Credentials|
|Fermentation Family at Jidam Inc.||www
|Revised Romanization||Balhyo Gajok|
Fermentation Family (Hangul: 발효가족; RR: Balhyo Gajok) is a 2011 South Korean television series, starring Song Il-gook, Park Jin-hee, Lee Min-young and Choi Jae-sung. Song plays a gangster who turn overs a new leaf and begins working at a kimchi restaurant run by two sisters. The series aired on jTBC from December 7, 2011 to February 23, 2012 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 20:45 for 24 episodes.
Lee Kang-san (Park Jin-hee) and Lee Woo-joo (Lee Min-young) are sisters who suddenly have to take over running their family's traditional kimchi restaurant Chunjiin ("Heaven, Earth and Man") after their father leaves without notice. The sisters must keep the restaurant going on their own, but they get some help from a troubled man, Ki Ho-tae (Song Il-gook), who shows up at the restaurant looking for his missing past. Ho-tae is an orphan who grew up to become a member of a crime syndicate. But he starts a new life as a worker at Chunjiin, where he discovers the perks of having an excellent palate. Together with the other restaurant employees, longtime customers and a growing circle of friends, they work towards their individual goals while finding warmth and family through their sharing of food and support of each other.
- Song Il-gook as Ki Ho-tae
- Park Jin-hee as Lee Kang-san
- Lee Min-young as Lee Woo-joo
- Choi Jae-sung as Kang Do-shik
- Kang Shin-il as Lee Ki-chan
- Kim Young-hoon as Oh Hae-joon
- Yoon Hee-soo as Na Eun-bi
- Lee Dae-geun as Elder Seol
- Kim Byeong-chun as Han Pyung-man
- Lee Il-hwa as Jung Geum-joo
- Lee Kan-hee as Kang-san's mother
- Choi Yong-min as Oh Myung-cheol
- Jung Ae-ri as Jung Hyun-sook
- Choi Deok-moon as Jo Dae-shik
- Kim Sang-hoon as Kim Dong-soo
- Jo Jae-wan as Park Hyun-soo
- Oh Yong as Jo Mi-nam
- Kim Ki-bok as Detective
- Lee A-rin as Bo-yo
- Hwang Young-hee as So-jung
- Cho Yeon-woo as Choi Yong-bin
- Kim Ha-eun as Ji-hyun
- Shin Hyun-tak as Sung-jin
- Kim Bo-mi as Hye-young
- Shin Hyun-bin as Yukie
- Choi Jae-sup as Yoo Jung-ho
- Kim Kyu-chul as Jung Sung-min
- Cha Hyun-woo
- Kim Ga-eun
- Philippines: TV5
- Iran: IRIB Namayesh TV - aired from March 26, 2015 to April 18, 2015, everyday 19:00.
- Thailand: True Asian Series
- Lim, Ju-ri (28 December 2011). "In Fermentation Family, a bad boy turns over new leaf". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Kim, Jessica (28 September 2011). "Park Jin-hee boards Song Il-kook drama". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Lee, Jin-ho (28 November 2011). "Song Il Kook on Fermented Family". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Lee, Jin-ho (28 November 2011). "Lee Min Young to Come Back with Fermented Family". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Oh, Jean (1 December 2011). "Dramas on way with four new channels". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Suk, Monica (18 April 2012). "Padam Padam, Kimchi Family, Syndrome sold to Germany". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-02-18.