Films of Colour
|Films of Colour|
|Origin||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Alternative rock, Electronic, Indie Rock,|
|Labels||Label Fandango (UK), Believe Digital (UK), Square Peg Records|
Films of Colour are an English alternative rock band, formed in 2008 at the Academy of Contemporary Music in Guildford, Essex, England. They originally started gigging under the name of Spires but as there were other bands already established by this name, they later changed their name to Films of Colour. After seeing them at their second gig, they were taken under the wing of Phil Catchpole (Relentless Records) where he developed their sound and put them in the studio and finally on tour with Cage the Elephant. Paul Carey joined the band as a Co-Manager in 2009, but when Phil Catchpole left in 2010, Paul Carey continued on and took command as their sole manager. On 4 October 2010, the band released their first single "Actions" with the B-side "Circles" (both produced/mixed by Duncan "Pixie" Mills (Florence and the Machine). The single was released digitally and on limited edition 7" Vinyl by Fierce Panda’s sister label – Label Fandango. The band's sound were compared to acts such as Radiohead, Muse, Coldplay, early Bloc Party and Swedish act – Miike Snow. Simon Williams, head of Fierce panda described the band "as the best band he's signed since Radiohead and Coldplay". Picked up as The Guardian’s New Band of the Day, Best of Myspace Winners, The Independent newspaper’s Barometer: One to Watch and Steve Lamacq’s Favourite New Band. There was radio support from 6 Music, Absolute Radio, BBC Radio 2 as well as holding the number 1 spot for two weeks on Amazing Radio
David Bowie and Tony Visconti
In 2011, the band released a cover of the "Slow Burn", a song off of the 2002 album - Heathen by David Bowie. The band received personal endorsement from the legendary producer - Tony Visconti who had produced and played on the original. It was picked up by David Bowie's official website and listed as an exclusive download. Visconti has worked on numerous albums, working on the majority of releases from David Bowie, Thin Lizzy, T. Rex (band) and most recently, the latest Kaiser Chiefs album, The Future Is Medieval.
He said in an interview :
- "When I was given a batch of demos to consider working with Films Of Colour I was struck with how many catchy songs they had written. I was also impressed with the quality of their demos; that they were clever, creative lads was very apparent. But one song stuck out, sounding so familiar yet I didn't really recognise it until the second chorus. I knew the song because I produced it with David Bowie for his 2002 Heathen album release. But Films of Colour had altered it so much they had clearly made it their own. I think Bowie is one of the most difficult artists to cover, since his versions of his own compositions seem to be the definitive versions. After I heard Films of Colour's version I was completely won over."
In May 2011, the band entered back into Studio 1 at Strongroom Studios, Shoreditch with producer Duncan "Pixie" Mills and Tom Bailey to record their next single A-side "Capital" along with B-Side "Persinette". This had its first airplay on Q Radio (July 2011) as well as the Selector Radio show which was broadcast in over 29 Countries worldwide and to an estimated audience of over 2 million listeners by The British Council. Featured in the Londonist as "the most 'Londony' song", Capital/Persinette was released on 25 July 2011 on Believe Records.
In popular media
In October 2010, "Actions" by Films of Colour, was used as backing music for Matt Cardle in the series of The X Factor (UK) In December 2011, "Persinette" by Films of Colour, was used as backing music in the Christmas special of UK's E4 show - Made in Chelsea.
Films of Colour have appeared at numerous music festivals nationwide including the Isle of Wight Festival 2010, In the City 2010, The Great Escape 2009, they also headlined a venue on their debut appearance at the 2011 Camden Crawl. 2011 also saw the band play the mainstage at Y Not Festival 2011, along with headliners Maxïmo Park and shared the stage with Fenech-Soler at Fieldview Festival.
SXSW Festival 2012
In 2012, the band appeared at the prestigious emerging music festival, which is held annually in Austin, Texas. They made several high-profile appearances, including a spot on BMI's evening showcase at Easy Tiger Patio on 15 March 2012.
After being announced on the official SXSW website in 2011, the band have gone on to be featured in many lists as "Ones to watch", including being voted No. 1 in the 10 for 2012 readers poll conducted by influential UK music blog There Goes the Fear in late 2011.
- "What's on | Cage The Elephant | 23 Nov 2008". The Duchess, York. 2008-11-23. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Films of Colour". Archived from the original on 2011-09-10.
- Bambridge, Fred (2011-06-23). "It's All Indie: Single Review... Films Of Colour - Capital/Persinette". Its-all-indie.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- Paul Lester. "New band of the day – No 869: Films of Colour | Music". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- John Hall (2010-09-24). "The Barometer: Coolies; Films of Colour; Mathemagic; Labrinth; Tinashe; Deerhunter; Brandon Flowers; Maximum Balloon - Features - Music". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "BBC Radio 6 Music - Steve Lamacq, 29/09/2010". Bbc.co.uk. 2010-09-29. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "BBC Radio 6 Music - Schedules, Wednesday 29 September 2010". Bbc.co.uk. 2010-09-29. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Fortnight of Colour". Archived from the original on 2012-03-23.
- David Bowie. "Latest News". David Bowie. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "Thin White Duke gives band a helping hand - News - London Evening Standard". Thisislondon.co.uk. 31 October 2011. Archived from the original on 4 January 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Download A Free Bowie-Endorsed Cover Of 'Slow Burn' | The latest music blogs, free MP3s, best new bands, music videos, movie trailers and news analysis". Nme.com. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "Pete Townshend attacts 'vampire' Apple, Cristiano Ronaldo sends naked pic to Pixie Lott, new Damon songs, Noel live... Daily Hot List - News - QTheMusic.com". News.qthemusic.com. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- "The Selector - Bringing you the best new British music". Selector-radio.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Music Video: Capital By Films Of Colour". Londonist. 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Films Of Colour :: fandango". Fandango.greedbag.com. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Isle of Wight Festival 2010 line-up and rumours". eFestivals.co.uk. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2014-08-02.
- "Line up". Archived from the original on 2011-08-02.
- Chang, Mary. "SXSW 2012: Day 3 – Thursday night free for all, various venues – 15th March 2012". There Goes the Fear. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Second Round of Band Announcements!". Archived from the original on 2012-02-05.
- Chang, Mary. "10 for 2012: No. 1 - Films of Colour". There Goes the Fear. Retrieved 4 July 2012.