|Limited liability partnership|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
Firefly Learning is an educational technology company based in London, England  with offices in Sydney, Australia that provides virtual learning platforms to hundreds of schools around the world. Firefly allows teachers, students and parents to publish and access information from anywhere with an internet connection.
Firefly Learning was started in 2000 by Joe Mathewson and Simon Hay, two 15-year-old students at St. Paul’s School in London, who developed it during school holidays, after they became frustrated with the school’s antiquated intranet system. Soon afterward, Forest School expressed interest in the new system and Firefly Learning was born. In 2010, students at Wellington College stranded due to ash cloud grounding thousands of flights were able to continue with their lessons via an e-learning platform provided by Firefly Learning. In 2012 BETT nominated Firefly for an Innovation in ICT award for its development of the Student Planner iPad app that automatically updated students' planners with assignments assigned by the teacher.
In November 2016, Firefly raised $ 5.6 million with the BGF Ventures as the lead investor, according the Techcrunch reports.
The cloud-based support platform used by Firefly is said to allow teachers set homework assignments, track students' progress, provide feedback and share learning resources, on it. This platform is said to have desktop and mobile apps, and its own API for education software providers, for the users to plug in their content.
There have been some controversies, such as a broken app on Android. An update was also been introduced that stopped parents from seeing pieces of homework. This confused some teachers and is still happening. Unusually long loading times are still prevalent.
- Lomas, Natasha (15 November 2016). "Firefly takes $5.6M Series A for its online learning tool for schools". TechCrunch. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
- "Transforming Education Through Technology". Bloomberg TV. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Joe Mathewson, co-founder of Firefly Learning, on turning his teenage hobby into an EdTech startup". UKTN (formerly Tech City News). 2017-02-13. Retrieved 2017-10-09.
- Cole, George (11 January 2011). "Web whiz-kids". Guardian. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- Dann, Kitty (13 December 2013). "Small business in the spotlight ... Firefly". Guardian. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "After St. Paul's". St. Paul's School. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- Woolcock, Nicola (April 20, 2010). "No 'volcanic ash holiday' as schools set exiled pupils work online". The Times. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- "BETT 2013 Finalists". BETT. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "Sparkle like Firefly, and sound like Music House". Hammersmith and Fulham. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- Lomas, Natasha. "Firefly takes $5.6M Series A for its online learning tool for schools". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-10-09.