Fitch High School
|Fitch High School|
101 Groton Long Point Road
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Achieve More, Believe More, Care More|
|School district||Groton Public Schools|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.09|
|Newspaper||The Scarlet Tanager|
Robert E. Fitch High School is a public high school located in Groton, Connecticut.
The original Fitch High School (now the former location of Fitch Middle School) was built in 1928 next to the Town Hall on Poquonock Road, and was funded in part by the will of a local merchant, Charles Fitch, with the stipulation that it be named after his son, Robert E. Fitch. In the early 1950s, the district enrollment was larger than the school could handle. The school district decided to split to a junior high and senior high system. In 1954, the school district built a new school, the current Robert E. Fitch Senior High School, in its current location at the top of Fort Hill Road, and renamed the existing school Robert E. Fitch Junior High School.
Notable alumni and faculty
- Amby Burfoot, runner
- Dave Campo, National Football League (NFL) head coach
- Jason Filardi, screenwriter
- Jesse Hahn, Major League Baseball (MLB) player
- John J. Kelley, runner and cross country coach at the school
- Fran Mainella, National Park Service Director, 2001–2006
- Paul Menhart, former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Matt Harvey, 7th overall pick in 2010 MLB draft to New York Mets
- George Hall, Arena Football League linebacker
- Samantha Urbani (Singer/ Songwriter)
- Brian Anderson, Thrasher magazine's "Skater of the Year" 1999 
- "Robert E. Fitch High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
- Streeter, James L. (24 November 2009). Groton: Historical Bits and Pieces. iUniverse. ISBN 9781440179082. Retrieved 18 June 2019 – via Google Books.
- Douglas, Scott (November 26, 2013). "Amby Burfoot Set to Run 51st Straight Thanksgiving Race". Runner's World. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Fitch planning to add to its Wall of Fame". Google News. The Day. November 24, 2002. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Jason Filardi is on the cusp of Hollywood success". Google News. The Day. March 4, 2003. p. C2. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- DiMauro, Mike (August 16, 2012). "Same old Jesse Hahn, finally back on the hill". The Day. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Manchester Road Race Honors John J. Kelley, Posthumously". Runner's World. October 11, 2011. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Poole, Owen (March 3, 2010). "Menhart impressed with top pick Strasburg". The Day. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Atkins, Hunter (August 10, 2012). "To Harvey and His Father, Promise Has Always Been There". The New York Times. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- DiMauro, Mike (May 6, 2007). "Ex-Fitch star Hall signs with Vikes". Google News. The Day. Retrieved June 4, 2014.