Flaunt the Imperfection
|Flaunt the Imperfection|
|Studio album by|
|Released||11 April 1985|
|Recorded||Parkgate Studio, Battle, East Sussex|
|Genre||New wave, synth-pop|
|China Crisis chronology|
|Singles from Flaunt the Imperfection|
The album was produced by Steely Dan co-founder Walter Becker, who is credited as an official member of China Crisis on the record sleeve. Becker apparently requested to meet with the band after hearing their song "Papua" from their 1983 album Working with Fire and Steel. He was subsequently signed on as producer to begin work on the album with the assistance of Phill Brown, sound engineer with the Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix.
The album is the most successful by the band, peaking at No. 9 on the UK Albums Chart and staying for 22 weeks. The singles "Black Man Ray" and "King in a Catholic Style" both reached the Top 20 in the UK Singles Chart.
In his review, Stewart Mason of AllMusic notes that "the group's songwriting is much improved, [with] the failed instrumental experiments and tiresome dance workouts that occasionally marred their earlier albums replaced with a newfound melodic sophistication and lyrical acuity."
All tracks written by Daly/Johnson/Lundon.
- "The Highest High" – 4:16
- "Strength of Character" – 2:50
- "You Did Cut Me" – 4:18
- "Black Man Ray" – 3:39
- "Wall of God" – 5:32
- "Gift of Freedom" – 4:38
- "King in a Catholic Style" – 4:32
- "Bigger the Punch I'm Feeling" – 4:21
- "The World Spins, I'm Part of It" – 4:12
- "Blue Sea" – 4:46
- Garry Daly – vocals, synthesizer
- Eddie Lundon – guitar, vocals
- Walter Becker – synthesizer, percussion
- Gary "Gazza" Johnson – bass, programming
- Kevin Wilkinson – drums, percussion
- Additional personnel
- Tim Renwick - all guitar solos
- Steve Gregory - saxophone
- Nick Magnus - grand piano, synthesizer, programming
- Tim Sanders - tenor and soprano saxophone
- Simon Clarke - alto and baritone saxophone, flute
- Roddy Lorimer - trumpet, flugelhorn
- Pete Thoms - trombone
- Colin Campsie - backing vocals
- Ginny Clee - backing vocals
- Stewart Mason. "Flaunt the Imperfection - China Crisis | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-04-06.
- "China Crisis's Flaunt The Imperfection: 30 Years Old Today". Movingtheriver.com. 2015-05-11. Retrieved 2018-01-28.
- "Flaunt the Imperfection - China Crisis: Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2018-01-28.
- "China Crisis - Flaunt The Imperfection". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2018-01-28.