The Fontygary Inn
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Font-y-Gary, also Fontygary, Fontegary or Fontygari (Welsh: Ffont-y-gari), is a village adjacent to Rhoose, 3 miles south-west of Barry in the Vale of Glamorgan, on the coast of south Wales. To the north is Fonmon and Fonmon Castle. The origin of the name is uncertain but in 1587 it was documented as "Fundygary".
Font-y-Gary is located near Cardiff International Airport. There is little in the village itself apart from the Font-y-Gary Holiday and Leisure Park and caravan site and stoney beach. On Sundays there is a car boot sale on the holiday park site, as well as the club and shop. There is also a disused quarry in the vicinity between Font-y-Gary and Aberthaw.
In 1928 Font-y-Gary was noted for being a favorable picnic spot, and in 1943 Font-y-Gary was described as a "pleasant summer resort with a delightful beach for bathing, edged with rugged cliffs which form a delightful background — and a convenient undressing place for bathers." The shingle beach and cliffs are distinct and there is a large cave called Font-y-Gary Cave. In the 1960s, Francis Lymburner depicted the coastline of Font-y-Gary in his Welsh pen and ink and wash drawings. Actress Susan George frequently holidayed at the caravan park as a child.
- Mills, Anthony David (6 November 2003). A Dictionary of British Place-Names. Oxford University Press. p. 530. ISBN 978-0-19-852758-9. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Fontygary Holiday and Leisure Park". Vale of Glamorgan Council. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Gas world. Benn Bros. January 1928. p. 575. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Evans, Cyril James Oswald (1943). Glamorgan: its history and topography. W. Lewis (printers) ltd. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Geological Survey of Great Britain (1904). The geology of the South Wales coal-field ... Printed for H.M. Stationery off., by Wyman and sons, limited. p. 105. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Kolenberg, Hendrik; Pearce, Barry (1 January 1992). Francis Lymburner. Art Gallery of New South Wales. p. 22. ISBN 978-0-7305-9148-1. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Country life. Country Life, Ltd. 2008. p. 58. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Font-y-Gary.|