Free Press (organization)
|Robert W. McChesney, John Nichols, Josh Silver
Misty Perez Truedson
Free Press was co-founded in 2003 by Robert W. McChesney, John Nichols, and Josh Silver. Craig Aaron is Free Press' current president and CEO, and Kimberly Longey is the COO. Its board chair is Ben Scott.
The group has an annual budget of over $5 million. The group has over 900,000 active members and past donors have include George Soros and Barbra Streisand. Free Press is an "activist group that promotes Internet openness" via nationwide grassroots activism and lobbying activity.
Free Press opposes media mergers that create monopolies. Free Press opposed the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger and hailed Comcast's decision to drop its merger bid in the face of increased government scrutiny. Free Press President and CEO Craig Aaron "credited the government regulators 'who have listened to the public and are seriously working to increase competition and lower the costs of access.'"  In 2011, Free Press pushed AT&T to abandon its bid to take over T-Mobile.
Free Press has been a consistent and vocal opponent of Congressional action that threatens to censor internet content under the guise of copyright protection. The organization helped to defeat the 2011 Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and has opposed subsequent iterations of the bill, including CIPA in 2013, and CISA in 2015.
Board of Directors
- Kang, Cecilia (28 March 2008). "Net Neutrality's Quiet Crusader: Free Press's Ben Scott Faces Down Titans, Regulators in Battle Over Internet Control". The Washington Post. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- Fund, John (February 26, 2015). "Comrades for Net Neutrality". National Review. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Boliek, Brooks (February 25, 2015). "Tom Wheeler tweaks net neutrality plan after Google push". Politico. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "Free Press' Craig Aaron on Net Neutrality". Cyber Law and Business Report. February 25, 2015.
- "Free Press and the Free Press Action Fund: Free Press Basics". freepress.net. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Ruiz, Rebecca R. "For Net Neutrality Advocates, a Moment to Celebrate," "The New York Times".
- CNN "Comcast Says It's Over: It Won't Try to Merge With Time Warner Cable" "CNN".
- "Big Win! AT&T Drops Its T-Mobile Takeover Bid".
- "For Net Neutrality Advocates, a Moment to Celebrate".
- "SOPA | Free Press". Free Press. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Remember When We Toppled SOPA/PIPA in Just 24 Hours? How the People Can Still Win on Net Neutrality". Free Press. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Free Press Action Fund Condemns Senate Passage of CISA". Free Press. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "National Conference for Media Reform".
- "Board of Directors". Free Press.