Freedom, Idaho and Wyoming
|Freedom, Idaho and Wyoming|
|Census-designated place (CDP) & Unincorporated community|
|States||Idaho and Wyoming|
|Counties||Caribou (Idaho) and Lincoln (Wyoming)|
|• Total||4.0 sq mi (10 km2)|
|• Land||4.0 sq mi (10 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,777 ft (1,761 m)|
|• Density||54/sq mi (21/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||397726|
Freedom is an unincorporated community in both northeastern Caribou County, Idaho, and northwestern Lincoln County, Wyoming in the United States; the Wyoming portion of the community is also a census-designated place (CDP). The population was 214 at the 2010 census.
Located on U.S. Route 89 and Idaho State Highway 34, Freedom sits on the Idaho/Wyoming state line. It lies northeast of the city of Soda Springs, the county seat of Caribou County, and north of Kemmerer, the county seat of Lincoln County; the nearest significant community is Afton, Wyoming, approximately 20 miles (30 km) to the south, along U.S. Route 89. Its elevation is 5,777 feet (1,761 m), and it is located at (42.9826991, -111.0438243). Although Freedom is unincorporated, its Wyoming side has a post office, with the ZIP code of 83120.
Freedom was established in 1879, and today it remains the oldest settlement in the Star Valley. Similar to Colorado City, Arizona and Hildale, Utah, the community was settled as a border town by Mormon polygamists in order to escape arrest for polygamy: they could be free from Idaho police simply by walking into Wyoming. The community was named for the freedom it gave these early settlers.
At one time, Freedom was the largest settlement in Star Valley. There was a general store, a gas station, billiard hall, and other establishments. Today some of the old buildings still stand, but very few are still in use. The Post Office and Baseball Park are still used, along with the LDS Church, which was built in 1889. Freedom is also the home of Freedom Arms, a gun factory and maker of the .454 Casull handgun.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Rand McNally. The Road Atlas '08. Chicago: Rand McNally, 2008, pp. 31, 116.
- Geographic Names Information System Feature Detail Report, Geographic Names Information System, 1979-06-21. Accessed 2008-05-04.
- Zip Code Lookup
- "2010 Wyoming Place Names". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 4, 2012. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- Freedom, Wyoming
- "Freedom Arms". Company Website. Freedom Arms. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- US Census Bureau