Fresh Healthy Vending
|Vending machines; Franchising|
|Founder||Arthur Budman, CEO|
|Headquarters||9605 Scranton Rd. #350
San Diego, California 92121
|US Nationwide Excluding CA|
Number of employees
Fresh Healthy Vending is a vending machine company located in San Diego, California specializing in healthy alternatives to traditional vending machine snack foods and beverages. It was founded in June 2010. The company's refrigerated machines offer carrots, yogurt, smoothies, granola bars and beverages such as milk, juice and teas.
The company states that it sells only organic, natural and healthy foods and drinks, and the branded vending machines appear largely in schools, hospitals, health clubs and community organizations. As of 2011, the company had more than 2,000 vending machines in place around the country; about three-quarters of them are in schools. The company operates under a franchise model.
Fresh Healthy Vending has been active in providing healthy vending products to schools, as encouraged by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, which placed a prohibition on high-calorie junk food in school vending machines. It is also involved in First Lady Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" program for battling childhood obesity.
Legal and Regulatory Complaints Against Fresh Healthy Vending
In 2013, the California Corporations Commission filed action against Fresh Healthy Vending, Inc. found Fresh Healthy Vending to have "committed multiple violations of the California Franchise Investment Law." The company is currently not permitted to market or sell franchises in California, and is limited to operating locations under its direct control and ownership.
In March 2016 the company was reported to the Securities Exchange commission for allegedly hiring spammers to distribute material promoting the company to large numbers of individuals in an effort to increase stock prices.
- "Vending machines go bananas". Fox Business Report, posted at YouTube. April 20, 2011. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Healthy Vending Comes to Washington DC". 9 News Now, WUSA, posted at YouTube. September 9, 2011. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Healthiest vending machine foods". CBS News. March 3, 2011. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Vending machines". The Early Show/CBS, posted on YouTube. March 8, 2011. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- Leiber, Nick (January 31, 2011). "Selling healthy snacks in schools". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010". U.S. Department of Agriculture. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "New USDA rules would remove junk food from school vending machines". CBS News. February 1, 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2013.