Fry jacks are not unique to Belize. Different names are used in various countries different names all over the world including beignets in New Orleans, USA, sopapillas in Mexico and the American southwest, or simply ‘fried dough’.
Preparation begins with flour and other ingredients, typically including baking powder, salt, vegetable oil and water. The mix is then pan-cooked. Preparation involves creating the dough and then allowing it time to proof, or rise. Once the dough has risen, the dough is rolled out and then cut into strips or pieces. After being pan-cooked in oil, they may be topped with ingredients such as jam, beans or cheese.
- How to Make Belizean Fry Jacks | Belize Travel Blog. (n.d.). Belize Travel Blog. Retrieved from http://belize-travel-blog.chaacreek.com/2012/08/how-to-make-belizean-fry-jacks/ Archived 2013-12-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Fry Jacks Flavors of Belize magazine
- S. (2013, April 25). Fry Jacks(Belize). Fry Jacks Belize) Recipe. Retrieved from http://www.food.com/recipe/fry-jacks-belize-499428
- Flavors of Belize, Belize Cooking, Belize Recipes. (n.d.). Flavors of Belize, Belize Cooking, Belize Recipes. Retrieved from http://www.flavorsofbelize.com/#!fry-jacks/c11yk
- Kessler, A. (n.d.). Authentic Belizean Recipes – Fry Jacks. Live in Belize Retire in Belize Belize LifeStyle. Retrieved from http://belizelifestyle.com/authentic-belizean-recipes-fry-jacks/
- A. (n.d.). Calories in Fry Jacks. SparkRecipes. Retrieved from https://archive.is/20131204194953/http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=315004
- How to Make Belizean Fry Jacks | Belize Travel Blog. (n.d.). Belize Travel Blog. Retrieved from https://web.archive.org/web/20131217224729/http://belize-travel-blog.chaacreek.com/2012/08/how-to-make-belizean-fry-jacks/