Fusako Kodama (児玉 房子 Kodama Fusako?, born 1945) is a Japanese photographer who has concentrated on people in cities as subjects.
Life and career
Kodama was born in Wakayama City (Wakayama Prefecture, Japan) in 1945. She graduated from Kuwasawa Design School in 1967. She then worked as a photographer for a company named Le Mars (ル・マルス).
In 1990 Grafication, a PR magazine of Fuji Xerox, published a series of pieces by Kodama that were later collected into her first photobook, Criteria. With its depiction of nuclear power plants and other scenes of advanced technology, this book was widely noted as a remarkable document.
This was followed by depictions of street life in the metropolis, in the photobook Tokyo Kinetic and various exhibitions. In 1993, Kodama won the Annual Award of the Photographic Society of Japan. From April 1993 to March 1995, the magazine Asahi Camera ran a series by her, Tokyo Cruising.
- Kuraiteria (クライテリア) / Criteria.
- Tōkyō Kinetikku (東京キネティック). Ginza Nikon Salon, 1992.
- Tokyo Photographs
- Hanazakari no koro: Machi no hitobito (花ざかりの頃・街の人々)
- Tōkyō kōgai (東京郊外). Gallery Art Graph, 1997.
- Kibō no genzai 「希望」の現在). Osaka Nikon Salon, July 2007.
- 11-nin no Itaria, Nihon no shashinka-ten (11人のイタリア・日本の写真家展). Istituto Italiano di Cultura di Tokyo.
- About Big Cities. Neue Gesellschaft für Bildende Kunst (Berlin), 1993.
- Josei-shashinka no manazashi, 1945–1997 (女性写真家のまなざし 1945〜1997). Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography, 1998.
Books by Kodama
- Kuraiteria: Kodama Fusako shashinshū (クライテリア 児玉房子写真集) / Criteria. Tokyo: IPC, 1990. ISBN 4871988295. Color photographs, captions and text in both Japanese and English. Japan as a high-tech society. (Eleven of the photographs are of the Fukushima No. 2 nuclear power plant.)
- Sennen-go niwa: Tōkyō: Kodama Fusako shashinshū (千年後には・東京 児玉房子写真集) / Tokyo Kinetic. Tokyo: Gendai Shokan, 1992. ISBN 4768477194. Black and white views of Tokyo; text in Japanese only.
- Michiko Kasahara (笠原美智子), "Kodama Fusako", in Nihon shashinka jiten (日本写真家事典) / 328 Outstanding Japanese Photographers (Kyoto: Tankōsha, 2000; ISBN 4-473-01750-8), p.133.
- Ryūichi Kaneko, Shinzō Shimao, and Hiroshi Nagai, Independent Photographers in Japan, 1976–83 (Tokyo: Tōkyō Shoseki, 1989; ISBN 4-487-75226-4), p.22. (Japanese) (Although the title of the book is in English, the book is in Japanese only.)
- List of award winners, the Photographic Society of Japan. (Japanese) Accessed 12 March 2013.
- Exhibition notice for Kibō no genzai, Nikon. (Japanese) Accessed 12 March 2013.
- Alumna profile, Kuwasawa Design School. Accessed 12 March 2013.
- Search results, Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography. (Japanese) Accessed 12 March 2013.
- Notice about the video, the Third Gallery Aya. Accessed 12 March 2013.