21 February 1989 |
Timaru, New Zealand
|Listed height||205 cm (6 ft 9 in)|
|High school||Roncalli College
(Timaru, New Zealand)
(Oamaru, New Zealand)
|Position||Center / Power forward|
|Career highlights and awards|
Gareth Dawson (born 21 February 1989) is a New Zealand professional basketball player.
In 2008, Dawson played for the North Otago Penguins of the Conference Basketball League (CBL). In 2009, he played for the Manawatu Jets of the National Basketball League (NBL). Dawson spent two seasons in the Australian NBL as a development player with the Wollongong Hawks (2009/10) and Cairns Taipans (2010/11).
Dawson returned to the Southland Sharks in 2013 and continued on with them in 2014. In May 2014, the Sharks were forced to stand down Dawson after he tested positive for a banned drug. Originally facing a two-year suspension, the Sports Tribunal were lenient after being satisfied he hadn't intentionally cheated and found his taking of prohibited substance tamoxifen was not for performance-enhancing purposes. He was instead suspended from playing for just 12 months in August 2014.
After serving his ban, Dawson joined the Canterbury Rams in April 2015. He continued on with the Rams in 2016. On 10 June 2016, Dawson signed with the Mackay Meteors for the rest of the 2016 Queensland Basketball League season. In five games for the Meteors, he averaged 9.4 points, 9.4 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game.
On 18 December 2017, Dawson was banned for four years for his second anti-doping rule breach since 2014. He was suspended for the presence of a prohibited substance, higenamine, in a sample taken from him at a National Basketball League (NBL) game on May 27. The four-year period of disqualification was backdated to 31 July 2017 with Dawson banned from all organised sport until 30 July 2021.
- Shark Gareth Dawson credits Aussie experience
- "Dawson Joins Hawks". Basketball.org.nz. 24 October 2009. Archived from the original on 1 November 2014.
- "2010 Conference Basketball League programme" (PDF). Basketball.org.nz. Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 January 2015.
- Paringatai, Dawson impress in Flyers win
- "Dawson Back On Board". Basketball.org.nz. 8 September 2010. Archived from the original on 1 November 2014.
- Great white Shark joining the Giants
- Dawson happy to be in Henare's care
- Sharks net biggest signing in Conklin
- Southland basketball player tests positive for banned drug
- Henare, Peck make comeback for the Sharks
- Southland Shark Dawson suspended 12 months
- Kyle Coston cut by Canterbury Rams, shooting guard Jermaine Taylor signs on
- Basketballer Gareth Dawson back from year long drug ban
- Egan, Brendon (14 December 2015). "Former Tall Black Jeremy Kench retires from National Basketball League after 12 years". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- Lees, Chris (10 June 2016). "LISTEN: New Meteors signing talks about his strengths". DailyMercury.com.au. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "Player statistics for Gareth Dawson". SportsTG.com. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- Canterbury co-captain Ethan Rusbatch ruled out of season-opening road trip
- Four-year doping ban for Kiwi basketballer
- Four-year drugs ban for Kiwi
- Four-year ban for New Zealand basketballer Gareth Dawson after second doping breach
- Gareth Dawson at rams.org.nz