||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Gary Raisor is an American horror author best known for the novels Less Than Human, Graven Images, Sinister Purposes, and his extensive short fiction work. His novels garnered reviews. He was nominated for a Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel for Less Than Human in 1992.
He also edited the anthology Obsessions with stories from Dean Koontz, Kevin J. Anderson, F. Paul Wilson, Dan Simmons, Joe R. Lansdale, and featured the story Lady Madonna by Nancy Holder, which won the Bram Stoker Award for Short Fiction in 1991.
Raisor has written numerous short stories, beginning in the 1980s in Night Cry Magazine and The Horror Show, working his way into a lot of "Best Of" anthologies. Today, Raisor concentrates primarily on screenplays and comics.
- Occupational Hazard (1985)
- Making Friends (1985)
- The Old Black Hat (1986)
- The Accounting (1987)
- Identity Crisis (1987)
- Cheapskate (1988)
- The Night Caller (1989)
- Distant Thunder (1989)
- Empty Places (1989)
- The Laughing Man (1991)
- Stigmata (1991)
- Hell Train (1991)
- Sometimes, the Hands Remember (1993)
- The Right Thing (1994)
- If I Should Die Before I Wake (1998)
- Cleaning Compulsion (2002)
- Gran'mama (2002)
- Willpower (2003)
- Sacrifice (2009)
His short story, Making Friends was adapted as a short film in 2010 by producer Greg Bartlett and director Marvin Suarez.
- "Gary's vampires... failed to read the book on how vampires are to behave. They may be less than human, but their actions are very human." "And they're disturbing and scary because they're funny." "Gary is one of the few writers I've ever read that realizes humor and horror are truly opposite sides of a double-edged knife." - Joe Lansdale, from the Introduction to Less Than Human
- D'Ammassa, Don (2001). "Graven Images (review)". Science Fiction Chronicle. 22 (2): 43–44. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Sinister Purposes (review)". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Obsessions (review)". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Obsessions (review)". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- Collins, Robert A.; Latham, Robert (1990). Science Fiction & Fantasy Book Review Annual. Meckler. p. 340. ISBN 9780313281501. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- Beggs, Scott. "Short Film Of The Day: The Night Caller". Film School Rejects. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- Decker, Sean. "Screamfest LA 2011: Watch the Short Film The Night Caller Right Here; Exclusive New Photo". Dread Central. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- Beggs, Scott. "Short Film Of The Day: Making Friends". Film School Rejects. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- Gary Raisor at Fantastic Fiction
- Gary L. Raisor at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Gary Raisor at the Internet Movie Database