George C. Casella
|Died||June 17, 2012 (aged 61)|
|Alma mater||Purdue University|
|Institutions||Rutgers University, Cornell University, University of Florida|
|Thesis||Minimax Ridge Regression Estimation (1977)|
|Doctoral advisor||Leon Jay Gleser|
Casella completed his undergraduate education at Fordham University and graduate education at Purdue University. He served on the faculty of Rutgers University, Cornell University, and the University of Florida. His contributions focused on the area of statistics including Monte Carlo methods, model selection, and genomic analysis. He was particularly active in Bayesian and empirical Bayes methods, with works connecting with the Stein phenomenon, on assessing and accelerating the convergence of MCMC methods, as in his Rao-Blackwellisation technique, and in inventing the Bayesian lasso.
Casella was named as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics in 1988, and he was made an Elected Fellow of the International Statistical Institute in 1989. In 2009, he was made a Foreign Member of the Spanish Royal Academy of Sciences.
- Casella, George; Lehmann, E. L. (1998). Theory of point estimation. Berlin: Springer. ISBN 0-387-98502-6.
- Berger, Roger W.; Casella, George (2002). Statistical inference. Stamford, Connecticut: Thomson Learning. ISBN 0-534-24312-6.
- Casella, George; Robert, Christian P. (2004). Monte Carlo statistical methods. Berlin: Springer. ISBN 0-387-21239-6.
- McCulloch, Charles E.; Shayle R. Searle; Casella, George (2006). Variance components. New York: Wiley-Interscience. ISBN 0-470-00959-4.
- Casella, George (2008). Statistical design. Berlin: Springer. ISBN 0-387-75965-4.
- Casella, George; Robert, Christian P. (2009). Introducing Monte Carlo Methods with R (Use R). Berlin: Springer. ISBN 1-4419-1575-3.
- Casella, George; Wu, Rongling; Changxing Ma (2010). Statistical Genetics of Quantitative Traits: Linkage, Maps and QTL (Statistics for Biology and Health). Berlin: Springer. ISBN 1-4419-1912-0.
- George Casella at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Obituary: George Casella, 1951-2012". IMS Bulletin. Institute of Mathematical Statistics. Feb 27, 2013.
- Casella, G (1996). "Rao-Blackwellisation of sampling schemes". Biometrika. 83 (1): 81–94. doi:10.1093/biomet/83.1.81. JSTOR 2337434.
- Park, Trevor; Casella, George (2008). "The Bayesian Lasso" (PDF). Journal of the American Statistical Association. 103 (482): 681–686. doi:10.1198/016214508000000337.
- Casella, George. "VITA" (PDF). Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "George Casella Home Page". Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "User Page for George Casella". UF Department of Statistics. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a statistician from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|