George Nicholls (British politician)
George Nicholls (25 June 1864 – 30 November 1943) was a British evangelical pastor, and Liberal-Labour politician who served as the Member of Parliament (MP) for North Northamptonshire from 1906 to 1910.
Nicholls started life as a farm labourer and smallholder. He went on to be Pastor at the Evangelist Congregational Church in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, from 1894 to 1902, and afterwards of Congregational Churches at Silverdale and Chesterton, in Staffordshire.
He was the chief organiser for the Allotment and Small Holdings section of the Agricultural Organisation Society, and a member of the Agricultural Wages Board, of a Royal Commission on Agriculture, of the Central Agricultural Council, of the Soke of Peterborough Small Holdings Committee, and of Peterborough United Charities. He was awarded the OBE and served as a Justice of the Peace.
After World War I, he stood unsuccessfully for Parliament on six further occasions. As a Labour Party candidate in Camborne at the 1918 general election, he narrowly lost to the sitting Liberal MP Sir Francis Dyke Acland. He then stood as a Liberal Party candidate in Peterborough at the 1922 general election, in Warwick and Leamington at the 1923 and 1924 general elections, in Bury St Edmunds at a by-election in January 1925, and in Harborough at the 1929 general election,
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "N" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 359. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- The Times House of Commons, 1929; Politico’s Publishing, 2003 p91
- A & C Black (1920–2008, online edn, Dec 2007). "NICHOLLS, George". Who Was Who. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 9 August 2010. Check date values in:
- "no. 27885". The London Gazette. 13 February 1906. p. 1044. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- Craig, British parliamentary election results 1885–1918, page 304
- Craig, British parliamentary election results 1885–1918, page 228
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918–1949 (3rd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 311. ISBN 0-900178-06-X.
- Craig, British parliamentary election results 1918–1949, page 438
- Craig, British parliamentary election results 1918–1949, page 493
- Craig, British parliamentary election results 1918–1949, page 470
- Craig, British parliamentary election results 1918–1949, page 411
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by George Nicholls
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for North Northamptonshire
1906 – January 1910