This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Lineage||Claimed Suryavansha (Solar Clan)|
|Other kingdom||Mudhol, Paithan|
|Nishan||Rudra on flagpole|
|Clan God||Adbal Siddhnath).|
|Clan goddess||Tulja Bhavani.|
|Gotra||Vajpeya ( Kaushik )|
|Locations||Maharashtra, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Goa|
The Ghorpade (Marathi: घोरपडे) are a sub-clan of the Maratha Bhosale clan within the Maratha clan system. They are found largely in Maharashtra and Karnataka in India, as well as other states in which Marathas are found.
The name Ghorpade was given to the ancestors in 1471 A.D. when Karna Sinha, Shubha Krishnaji and Bhim Sinha the ancestors of Ghorpades and Bhosles scaled the walls of fort for the Bahmani Sultan Mahmud Gawan, having tied their climbing ropes around the belly of a monitor lizard (ghorpad in Marathi) to pull their ropes to the top of the wall. They were given the title of "Raja Bahadur Ghorpade". It is claimed that these two brothers Karnaji, Shubha Krishnaji and Karna Sinhji son Bhimji were descendants of Rana Sujjanji the Sisodia scion who migrated to South with devoted band of Sisodia forces and joined Bahmani Sultan.
The subclan consider themselves to be Sisodia Rajput, settled in Mudhol.The documents bear seals and tughra of Bahmani and Adil Shahi sultans and establish the direct descent of Shivaji and Ghorpade with that of Sisodia of Chittod. They intermarry with certain other Maratha clans, such as the Bhoite, Kate, Bhosale as they share the same totem within the Maratha clan system. The subclan claims descent from King Dorik, an ancient ruler of Chittoud (in modern Rajasthan). The gotra of royal families of Sesodia of Chittor, Bhosle and Ghorpade is same that is Koushik. The firmans received by ancestors of Ghorpade and Bhosle represents Rana Ugrasena as common ancestor of both: Ghorpade are descendants of elder son Raja Karna Sinh and Bholse are descendants of younger son Shubha Krishnaji.
In 1931 Raja Narain Rao of Mudhol adopted the[clarification needed] from Sisodia royal house of Udaipur (formerly Mewar) Hari Singh nephew of then Maharaja of Udaipur and head of all Sisodia Rajputs.
- Thomas Edmund Farnsworth Wright; Oxford University Press (15 November 2006). A dictionary of world history. Oxford University Press. pp. 401–. ISBN 978-0-19-920247-8. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- https://books.google.com/books?id=87PQDQ4E0KkC&pg=PA648&dq=ghorpade+iguana&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AMi8UK_RAcOY0QGn1YCoCw&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=ghorpade%20iguana&f=false - According to their family legend the present surname was obtained under the BahmaDis (1347-1526) from a Ghorpade having been the first to climb an impregnable Konkan fort by tying a cord round the body of an iguana lizard or ghorpad.
- The main currents of Maratha history: originally Patna University readership ... - Govind Sakharam Sardesai - Google Books. Books.google.co.in. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Full text of "Shivaji The Great Vol I"". Archive.org. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Bhatia, H. S. (2001). Mahrattas, Sikhs and Southern Sultans of India: Their Fight Against Foreign Power (2nd ed.). Deep & Deep. ISBN 9788171003693. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- B.N. Gawand. . Vanshavali va Shannav kuli.[when?][where?] (in Marathi)
- Har Bilas Sarda. "Full text of "Speeches And Writings"". Archive.org. Retrieved 2012-09-17.