|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Giant Sand performing in Faenza, Italy in 2006
|Also known as||Giant Sandworms, Giant Giant Sand|
|Genres||Alternative rock, americana, roots rock, alternative country|
Thøger T. Lund
|Past members||John Convertino
Paula Jean Brown
Members have included keyboardist Chris Cacavas (of Green on Red), bassist Paula Jean Brown (who was briefly a member of The Go-Go's and was married to Gelb at the time), Mark Walton (of The Dream Syndicate and Continental Drifters), drummer Tom Larkins (later to become a Jonathan Richman sideman). and Iain Shedden, drummer with Australian band The Saints. For a long while the band's rhythm section consisted of John Convertino and Joey Burns (of Calexico fame). In the early 2000s Howe Gelb reinvented the band again - this time with players from Denmark.
Guest artists over the last 3 decades have included Victoria Williams, Neko Case, Juliana Hatfield, PJ Harvey, Vic Chesnutt, Steve Wynn, Vicki Peterson, Rainer Ptacek, M. Ward, Isobel Campbell, nearly all members of the band Poi Dog Pondering, and Indiosa Patsy Jean (Gelb and Brown's daughter).
- Valley of Rain (1985)
- Ballad of a Thin Line Man (1986)
- Storm (1987)
- The Love Songs (1988)
- Long Stem Rant (1989)
- Swerve (1990)
- Ramp (1991)
- Center of the Universe (1992)
- Stromausfall (1993)
- Purge & Slouch (1993)
- Glum (1994)
- Goods and Services (1995)
- Backyard Barbecue Broadcast (1995)
- Build Your Own Night It's Easy (1997)
- Chore of Enchantment (2000)
- The Rock Opera Years (2000)
- Unsungglum (2001)
- Selections Circa 1990-2000 (Compilation, 2001)
- Cover Magazine (2002)
- Infiltration of Dreams (2003)
- Too Many Spare Parts in the Yard Too Close at Hand (2003)
- Is All Over the Map (2004)
- Provisions (2008)
- Provisional Supplement (2008)
- Blurry Blue Mountain (2010)
- Melted Wires (2010)
- Snarl Some Piano (2011)
- Tucson (2012) (as Giant Giant Sand)
- Heartbreak Pass (2015)
- Score for Ingenius (2011) - feature film with Jeremy Renner (Bleiberg Distribution)
- High and Dry: Where the Desert Meets Rock and Roll (2006) – a documentary about Tucson musicians which includes music and interviews with Giant Sand members
- Drunken Bees (1996) – a documentary about Giant Sand by Marianne Dissard.
- Stance, Frankerton (1 May 2006). "Howe Gelb". Crooked Rain. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
-  Archived September 21, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- unattributed (2007). "High and Dry: Where the Desert Meets Rock 'n Roll". Upstairs Film. Retrieved 2008-08-02.