A gigapixel image is a digital image bitmap composed of one billion (109) pixels (picture elements), 1000 times the information captured by a 1 megapixel digital camera. Current technology for creating such very high-resolution images usually involves either making mosaics of a large number of high-resolution digital photographs or using a film negative as large as 12" × 9" (30 cm × 23 cm) up to 18" × 9" (46 cm × 23 cm), which is then scanned with a high-end large-format film scanner with at least 3000 dpi resolution. Only a few cameras are capable of creating a gigapixel image in a single sweep of a scene, such as the Pan-STARRS PS1 and the Gigapxl Camera.
A gigamacro image is a gigapixel image which is a close up or macro image.
Gigapixel images may be of particular interest to the following:
- Curators and art historians, to better study artworks
- Health care providers, such as pathologists, for virtual microscopy utilizing whole slide images (digitally scanned glass microscope slides, also called virtual slides)
- Physicists viewing the results of supercomputer simulations
- Viewers of satellite composite images for various purposes, including agricultural policy, land use planning, and military intelligence
- Visual effects industry, where gigapixel images can enable the creation of immersive digital environments
A terapixel image is an image composed of one trillion (1012) pixels. Though currently rare, there have been a few instances such as the Microsoft Research Terapixel project for use on the Fulldome projection system, a composite of medical images by Aperio, and Google Earth's Landsat images viewable as a time-lapse are collectively considered over one terapixel.
In August, 2014, GIGAmacro announced that they would capture the photographs for the world's first terapixel macro image at the annual SIGGRAPH conference in Vancouver, BC. As of the end of August, 2014 GIGAmacro announced the success of the capture phase of the project, but have not yet said when the final terapixel image will be made public.
- Coca-Cola 600 - World record gigapixel image at Coca-Cola 600
- Largest photographs in the world
- Powerwall - Computer technology for interactive gigapixel displays
- HD View - Microsoft's high resolution image viewer plug-in (Windows only - IE & Firefox)
- Gigapan - A Google/NASA/CMU spinout technology that includes a commercially available robotic imager, free stitcher, and web-based viewer
- Gigapxl Project
- "No. 24 - 2007: PS1 Camera Installed". .ifa.hawaii.edu. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- Microsoft Research Terapixel
- Digital Pathology Leader Extends Support for TIFF Standard to Image Files Larger than 4GB, Creates World’s First Terapixel Image
- How Google built a 52-terapixel time-lapse portrait of Earth
- www.roumestan-photo.com - Gigapixels From France
- GigaLinc - Immersive interaction with gigapixel images
- Toledo 15 Gigapixels
- Technique for creating and viewing gigapixel macro images
- Gigapixel camera developed at Duke University
|This photography-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|