Gods of War (Manowar album)
|Gods of War|
|Studio album by Manowar|
|Released||February 23, 2007|
|Genre||Heavy metal, symphonic metal, power metal|
|Label||Magic Circle Music|
Gods of War is the tenth album by heavy metal band Manowar, released in 2007. It is a concept album centered on Odin, King of Gods and primary god of war in the Norse Mythology. Gods of War was supposed to be the first of a series of concept albums dedicated to different war gods from various mythologies, but eventually its sequels were not released.
All the text on the booklet was written in the Runic alphabet. The booklet is available for download in the official Manowar site. Cover art is painted by Ken Kelly. It is the last studio album to feature Manowar drummer Scott Columbus, who died in 2011.
Music of the album features symphonic metal influence, such as use of keyboard, choir and symphonic orchestra. Its close relationship with the four-opera cycle of Der Ring des Nibelungen by Richard Wagner is intended by wagnerian DeMaio, as shown by the booklet and recent interviews with Michael Custodis.
All songs written by Joey DeMaio, except where noted.
|1.||"Overture to the Hymn of the Immortal Warriors"||6:19|
|3.||"King of Kings"||4:18|
|4.||"Army of the Dead, Part I"||1:58|
|5.||"Sleipnir" (Karl Logan, DeMaio)||5:13|
|6.||"Loki God of Fire"||3:50|
|8.||"Overture to Odin"||3:41|
|9.||"The Blood of Odin"||3:57|
|10.||"The Sons of Odin"||6:23|
|11.||"Glory Majesty Unity"||4:41|
|12.||"Gods of War"||7:26|
|13.||"Army of the Dead, Part II"||2:20|
|15.||"Hymn of the Immortal Warriors"||5:29|
|16.||"Die for Metal" (Logan, DeMaio / Bonus Track)||5:17|
"Die for Metal" is a metal anthem present on all copies of the album, but is listed as a bonus track because it is not part of the concept of the album.
"Die for Metal" is featured in the video game Brütal Legend.
Besides the normal Jewel Case version, Gods of War was also released as a limited edition in an embossed metal slipcase containing a high grade media book bound in leather. Furthermore, this limited edition features a bonus DVD with unreleased material about the making of the album and some special behind-the-scenes footage. A double-vinyl LP in a gatefold sleeve was also available.
|2007||Finnish Albums Chart||12|
|2007||German Albums Chart||2|
|2007||Greek Albums Chart||2|
|2007||Italian Albums Chart||35|
|2007||Austrian Albums Chart||9|
|2007||Norwegian Albums Chart||36|
|2007||Swedish Albums Chart||17|
|2007||Billboard Heatseekers Chart||20|
|2007||Billboard Independent Chart||46|
End of year charts
- Eric Adams – vocals
- Karl Logan – guitar, keyboards
- Joey DeMaio – four-string and eight-string bass guitar, piccolo bass, keyboards, engineer, producer
- Scott Columbus – drums, percussion
- "Manowar: 'Gods Of War Live' Track Listing Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. June 12, 2007. Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. Gods of War at AllMusic
- "Manowar - Gods Of War Review". Heavymetal.about.com. 2010-06-14. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- "Sputnik music Review". sputnikmusic.com. 2007-02-23. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- Classifica settimanale dal 02/03/2007 al 08/03/2007 Archived 2012-05-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20080610050653/http://www.mtv.de/charts/Album_Jahrescharts_2007. Archived from the original on June 10, 2008. Retrieved June 13, 2014. Missing or empty
- "Gods of War". Manowar.com. Retrieved 2012-02-18.