24 May 1922|
|Died||10 July 2013
|Alma mater||University of Calcutta,
|Notable awards||Kalinga Prize (2010)|
Nanda Nandan Mahapatra
Gokulananda Mahapatra (24 May 1922 – 10 July 2013) was an Indian scientist and science fiction writer, who popularized science in the Odia language. Mahapatra has authored over 95 science fiction and children science books. Some of his notable contributions are Krutrima Upagraha, Pritibibahare Manisha, Candrara Mrutyu, Nishabda Godhuli, Madam Curie and Nila Chakra Bala Sapare. He was the founding member of Orissa Bigyana Prachar Samhiti with the objective of making science popular in the state of Orissa. He received Orissa Sahitya Akademy Award for his book E juga ra sreshtha abiskara.
Early life and career
Mahapatra was born in Bhadrak, Odisha. He went on to do MSc from the University of Calcutta and was honored with PhD from the Utkal University. He also pursued FIC (Fellow in Chemistry) degree at Brandeis University (Boston, MA). He retired as the Head of the Department of Ravenshaw University.
Honours and awards
- Pruthibi bahare manisha
- Krutrima Upagraha
- Chandrara Mrutyu
- Nishabda Godhuli
- Sunara Odisha
- Mrutyu eka matrutwa ra
- Nishchala pruthibi
- Mrutyu rashmi
- Udanta thalia
- Chaturtha parisara
- Bigyana bichitra
- Bigyanara srestha abiskara
- E jugara srestha abiskara
- Jaiswal, Binita (2012). "'I succeeded because I followed my passion' - Times Of India". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
written 95 books, which include science fiction novels, science books for children, biography of some renowned scientists and many others
- Abraham, Priya (4 December 2010). "Utkal lab to get a new look". The Telegraph. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Scientist Mohapatra Gets Kalinga Samman-2011". Outlookindia. 4 January 2010. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "60th Anniversary of Unesco: International Conference for Celebration of 60th Anniversary of UNESCO Kalinga Prize for Popularization of Science, Bhubaneswar, January 4th & 5th, 2012". Kalingafoundationtrust.com. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Scientist Mohapatra gets Kalinga Samman-2011". The Money Control. 5 January 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Scientist Mohapatra Gets Kalinga Samman-2011". in.com. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- Orissa Sahitya Academy