Golden mandarin fish
|Golden mandarin fish|
|Yellow (foreground) and speckled (behind) individuals|
The golden mandarin fish (Siniperca scherzeri), also known as the leopard mandarin fish, is a species of temperate perch native to eastern Asia (Korea, China, and Vietnam). This species can reach at least 33.4 cm (1.1 ft) in standard length and 607.3 g (1.34 lb) in weight. It is typically yellowish-brown with blackish-brown speckles ("leopard"), but there are also bright yellow ("golden") individuals, which are particularly prized in Korea and selectively bred in captivity.
It is a commercially important fish, but has declined due to overfishing and habitat loss. It is farmed; typically using pure specimens, but sometimes involving hybrids with the faster-growing mandarin fish (Siniperca chuatsi). Danyang County, North Chungcheong Province organizes a fishing festival for golden mandarin fish every April.
- Huckstorf, V. 2012. Siniperca scherzeri. In: IUCN 2013. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. <www.iucnredlist.org Archived 2014-06-27 at the Wayback Machine>. Downloaded on 20 April 2014.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2014). "Siniperca scherzeri" in FishBase. February 2014 version.
- Shao, Li, Zhang, Lin, Xie, Wu and Wei (2016). Length–weight and length–length relationships of four endemic fish species from the middle reaches of the Yangtze River basin, China. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 32: 1329–1330.
- Fishillust: Leopard mandarin fish; Siniperca scherzeri. Retrieved 13 February 2017.
- Luo, Yang, Liang, Jin, Lv, Tian, Yuan and Sun (2015). Genetic diversity and genetic structure of consecutive breeding generations of golden mandarin fish (Siniperca scherzeri Steindachner) using microsatellite markers. Genetics and molecular research 14(3):11348-11355.
- Liu, L.; X.-F. Liang; and J. Fang (2017). The optimal stocking density for hybrid of Siniperca chuatsi (♀) × Siniperca scherzeri (♂) mandarin fish fed minced prey fish. Aquaculture Research 48(3): 1342–1345.
- Yang, Guo, Liang, Tian, Lv, Zhu and Wang (2015). Parentage determination in golden mandarin fish (Siniperca scherzeri) based on microsatellite DNA markers. Aquacult. Int. 23: 499–507.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Siniperca scherzeri.|
|This Perciformes article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|