Gopal Balakrishnan is a professor in the History of Consciousness Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz, working on political thought, intellectual history, and critical theory.
Balakrishnan studied European intellectual history and historical sociology at UCLA during the 1990s with Perry Anderson, Robert Brenner, Rogers Brubaker, and Michael Mann.
Prior to moving to Santa Cruz, he was an assistant professor at the University of Chicago. He is currently a member of the editorial board of the New Left Review.
- Balakrishnan, Gopal; Anderson, Benedict, eds. (1996). "Mapping the nation". Verso.
- Balakrishnan, Gopal (2000). "The enemy: an intellectual portrait of Carl Schmitt". Verso.
- Balakrishnan, Gopal, ed. (2003). "Debating Empire". Verso.
- Balakrishnan, Gopal (2009). "Antagonistics: capitalism and power in an age of war". Verso.
- Review of the book Empire by Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri.
- Review of the book The Shield of Achilles by Philip Bobbitt.
- Review of the book Valences of the Dialectic by Frederic Jameson.
- ^ Faculty Homepage at UC Santa Cruz