|Born||1963 (age 53–54)
Mahbubnagar, Telangana, India
|Occupation||Lyricist, Poet, Singer|
Goreti Venkanna (born 1963) is a popular Indian poet and folk singer. He became popular after his song "Palle Kanneru Peduthundo" in Khubasum Telugu movie had moved the masses. He also became popular by acting as a judge for the folk song program Rela Re Rela on Telugu TV channel, Maa. He is one of the main Telangana separation activists. He is one of the icons of Telangana culture.
Goreti Venkanna was born in Gowraram Village, Mahbubnagar Dist, TS, India. Most of his childhood was spent in singing the native folk songs describing the lives of peasants and the farmers of Telangana. He is one of the famous singers and lyricists from Telangana.
Goreti Venkanna as the lyricist for the Telugu movie, Batukamma.
Although, he is not a commercial Movie lyricist, he composed songs for various Movies. Most popular amongst these is Palle Kanneeru Pedutundo from the movie Kubusam. He also composed a song about the Rayalaseema factionism sang on TV 9 channel a popular news channel. His other works though not limited to include a song for the movie "Maisamma IPS". His songs are predominantly known for their composition on the Telangana State.
Venkanna's songs are published:
- Eku naadam Motha
- Rela Poothalu
- Alasandra Vanka
- Pusina Punnam
- 2006 Kala Ratna or Hamsa Award for Literature from AP State Government
- 2016 Kaloji Narayana Rao Award from Telangana State Government.
- Sri Ramulayya
- Vegu Chukkalu
- Maha Yagnam
- Maisamma IPS
- Nagaram Nidra Potunna Vela
- People's War
- Andhra Pradesh News : Bypolls keep cultural troupes busy. The Hindu (2008-05-09). Retrieved on 2011-08-25.
- T-dialect out of the closet - Times Of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2010-01-07). Retrieved on 2011-08-25.
- Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : Portraying Telangana’s woes. The Hindu (2008-05-12). Retrieved on 2011-08-25.
- Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : Hamsa awards are now Kalaratna. The Hindu (2006-08-16). Retrieved on 2011-08-25.