Gosnell: America's Biggest Serial Killer
|Gosnell: America's Biggest Serial Killer|
|Directed by||Nick Searcy|
|Story by||Andrew Klavan|
|Based on||Kermit Gosnell|
|Music by||Boris Zelkin|
|Edited by||John Quinn|
Hat Tip Films
Gosnell: America's Biggest Serial Killer is an upcoming American film about Kermit Gosnell, an abortion doctor who is reported to have killed hundreds of infants born alive during abortion procedures, and convicted of three counts of murder and whom many consider to be a serial killer.
The film was announced in 2014. Funds for its production were raised via crowdfunding, in which $2.3 million was raised for the creation of the film. The film is being made by Irish filmmakers Ann McElhinney and Phelim McAleer and directed by Nick Searcy. Andrew Klavan has been hired as the screenwriter. It stars Earl Billings and Dean Cain. The producers announced on June 26, 2018 that they signed a distribution deal for the movie and will be opening in about 750 theatres in October 2018.
The film was announced in 2014, less than a year after Gosnell was tried and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The filmmakers sought to raise funds for the production of the film through crowdfunding, but encountered resistance from Kickstarter, which the filmmakers said censored the project from their website. According to email exchanges released by McAleer, Kickstarter requested that the phrases "'1000s of babies stabbed to death" and '1000s of babies murdered'...be removed or modified to comply with the spirit of our Community Guidelines." Kickstarter's CEO denied that they censored the project and said the filmmakers blew an editorial exchange out of proportion.
The filmmakers switched to Indiegogo and launched their crowdfunding effort on March 28, 2014, with a goal of $2.1 million, which was reached less than two weeks later on April 9, 2014. It quickly became the highest-funded film on Indiegogo, and is currently one of the highest-funded crowdfunding projects of all time.
The film was originally intended to be a made for TV movie, but the filmmakers later decided to make it into a full feature film. John Sullivan was announced as the executive producer of the film in December 2014. Nick Searcy was announced as the director of the film in March 2015. Searcy said in a statement, I am both excited and humbled by the opportunity to have a part in bringing this important American story to the screen. It is a story that many in Hollywood were unwilling to tell, and I am grateful to Ann, Phelim and Magdalena for having the courage to tell it." He also said, "There are three aspects to this story that are fascinating. What happened; why it was allowed to happen; and why no one wanted to talk about it after it happened."
Despite the large amount of funding and support for the movie, it has failed to be picked up. The movie's producer Phelim McAller, has said that everyone from studios, streaming sites, and distributors have refused to distribute the movie. In an interview, McAller said that if necessary, the film will be done independently and that “The book and movie will ensure that the coverup is ended and the truth will be known."
- Gosnell Movie, Indiegogo, April 4, 2014.
- O'Brien, Cortney. Gosnell Movie Campaign Earns $300,000 in Just Five Days, Townhall.com, April 3, 2014.
- Eichel, Molly. Filmmakers crowd-fund a TV movie about Kermit Gosnell, Philadelphia Inquirer, April 3, 2014.
- Bond, Paul (September 2, 2014). "Writer Hired for Project About Convicted Abortion Doctor Kermit Gosnell". The Hollywood Reporter. Los Angeles, California. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- 'Gosnell' Abortion Doctor Movie Gets Distribution Deal, Hollywood Reporter, June 26, 2018.
- Filmmaker Accuses Kickstarter of Censoring 'Gosnell' Abortion Movie
- Gosnell abortion film too much for Kickstarter’s ‘diverse’ censors
- Anti-Abortion Filmmakers Say They Were Censored by Kickstarter
- Kickstarter CEO Responds to Gosnell Filmmakers
- Abortion Doctor Kermit Gosnell TV Movie Hits $2.1 Million Crowdfunding Goal
- ‘Gosnell’ Becomes Most-Funded Film To Date On Indiegogo; Crosses $1M
- 'Gosnell' Movie Adds '2016' Co-Director John Sullivan as Executive Producer (Exclusive)
- Anti-Abortion Movie Gosnell Will Be Directed By Justified Actor
- Movie About Kermit Gosnell Casts Abortion Doctor, Begins Filming