Grady C. Cothen
Grady C. Cothen is a pastor, state convention executive secretary-director for the Southern Baptist Convention, author, university president, and seminary president.
Cothen was born in Poplarville, Mississippi on August 2, 1920 to Rev. & Mrs. J. H. Cothen. He married Martha E. (Bettye) Major and had two children; Grady, Jr., Carole Shields.
He attended from Hattiesburg High School, graduated Mississippi College, and received his masters degree from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. He was ordained into Baptist Ministry at Richton, Ms. Baptist Church in 1939.
- Chaplain, U. S. Navy, 1944-46
- Pastor: White Oak Baptist Church, Chattanooga, Tn. 1946-48
- Olivet Baptist Church, Oklahoma City, Ok. 1948-59
- First Baptist Church, Birmingham, Al. 1959-61
- Executive Secretary, Southern Baptist General Convention of Ca. 1961 – 1966.
- President of Oklahoma Baptist University 1966-70
- President of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary 1970-74
- President of Southern Baptist Sunday School Board 1975-84
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, New Orleans Baptist Seminary
- Order of The Golden Arrow, Mississippi College
- E. Y. Mullins Denominational Service Award, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Listed in Who's Who in America since 1970 until retirement.
- Doctor of Divinity, Mississippi College
- Doctor of Divinity, California Baptist College
- Doctor of Laws, William Jewell College
- Doctor of Humanities, University of Richmond
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Campbell University
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Oklahoma Baptist University
- The God of The Beginnings
- Faith and Higher Education
- Unto All The World: Bold Mission
- What Happened to The Southern Baptist Convention?
- The New SBC: Fundamentalism's Impact on The Southern Baptist Convention
During Cothen's tenure as president the Howard Residence was completed, the Oklahoma Baptist University Authority was incorporated, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education accredited all OBU programs, and The Geiger Center for University Life was completed.
James R. Scales
|Oklahoma Baptist University President
1966 - 1970
William G. Tanner
- The Papers of Grady C. Cothen
- Oklahoma Baptist University Archives
- JSTOR: Journal for Scientific Study of Religion
- Council for Christian Colleges and Universities
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|