Graeme Smith (footballer, born 1983)
Smith playing for Motherwell
|Full name||Graeme Meldrum Smith|
|Date of birth||8 June 1983|
|Place of birth||Edinburgh, Scotland|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|2003–2004||→ Ross County (loan)||20||(0)|
|2009–2010||Brighton & Hove Albion||6||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:20, 15 March 2015 (UTC).
Graeme Meldrum Smith (born 8 June 1983 in Edinburgh) is a Scottish footballer who currently plays as a goalkeeper for Brechin City in the Scottish League One. He started his career at Rangers and has also played for Ross County, Motherwell, Brighton, Hibernian, Gabala, Partick Thistle and Ayr United.
On 25 June 2005, Smith signed for Motherwell. During four seasons at Fir Park, Smith made 127 SPL appearances for Motherwell. Smith was included in the Scotland squad to face the Faroe Islands and Lithuania in Euro 2008 qualifiers played in September 2006, but he did not play in either game. Smith made one appearance for the Scotland B team during this time, playing in a 1–1 draw with the Republic of Ireland B team in November 2007. He was part of the Motherwell side that finished third in the SPL in the 2007–08 season, qualifying for the 2008–09 UEFA Cup.
On 1 July 2009, Smith transferred to English League One side Brighton & Hove Albion, signing a two-year contract. However, he conceded five goals on his debut, coming as a substitute after the regular goalkeeper Michel Kuipers had been sent off, as Brighton lost 7–1 at Huddersfield. Smith went on to make nine further appearances for Brighton.
Smith returned to the SPL on 1 January 2010 by signing for Hibernian on a free transfer. He immediately took possession of the goalkeeper position at Hibs, as manager John Hughes sought to put a "goalkeeping school" in place. Smith was involved in a remarkable game towards the end of the 2009–10 season, as he conceded six goals against his former club Motherwell, the match finishing drawn 6–6. Smith eventually fell behind Mark Brown and Graham Stack in the selection order under the management of Colin Calderwood and was released by the club in April 2011. He had made only 16 league appearances during his 15 months with the club.
Smith was invited by Tony Adams to train with Azerbaijan Premier League club Gabala in July 2011. Smith signed a one-year contract with Gabala after a pre-season tour of England. He made his debut for Gabala in an Azerbaijan Cup tie against Neftchala, in which they won 3–0. Smith made his league debut on 7 March in a 3–2 defeat against Kəpəz. On 17 May, Smith's contract was not renewed by Gabala.
Smith trained with Dunfermline, in his native Scotland, in July 2012. On 13 November 2012, he signed a 9-week deal with Scottish First Division club Partick Thistle. Smith scored an own goal in his debut appearance for Thistle, a 1–0 defeat against Hamilton on 16 November. He left the club at the end of his contract.
- As of 15 March 2015
|Club performance||League||Domestic Cup||League Cup||Other[note 1]||Total|
|Ross County (Loan)||2003–04||20||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||21||0|
|Brighton & Hove Albion||2009–10||6||0||3||0||1||0||1||0||11||0|
- "Keeper Smith Moves to Motherwell". BBC Sport. 25 June 2005. Retrieved 28 June 2009.
- "Hibernian make New Year signing". Hibernian F.C. official website. 1 January 2010.
- "Scotland B 1–1 Rep of Ireland B". BBC Sport. 20 November 2007.
- Goalkeeper Signs, Seagulls World, 1 July 2009. Retrieved 1 July 2009
- "Hibs snap up Smith". Sky Sports. 1 January 2010.
- Hardie, David (1 February 2010). "Keeper deal ends Hibs' transfer bids". Edinburgh Evening News. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- Bathgate, Stuart (8 May 2010). "John Hughes claims Rob Jones would have prevented Hibs' 6–6 'defeat'". The Scotsman. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- "Goalkeeper Graeme Smith departs Hibs". BBC Sport. 19 April 2011. Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- Hardie, David (20 June 2011). "Graeme Smith looks east for life after Hibs". Edinburgh Evening News. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Parks, Gordon (23 June 2011). "Players must look further afield for employment now, admits freed Hibs keeper Graeme Smith as he ponders move to Azerbaijan". Daily Record (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- Burns, Scott (26 August 2011). "England legend Tony Adams lures Graeme Smith to Azerbaijan". Daily Express (Northern and Shell Media Publications). Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- "Kapaz -Gabala 3–2". Gabala FC. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Five more players leave Gabala". Gabala FC. 18 March 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- "Smith in goal for Pars". www.dafc.co.uk (Dunfermline Athletic FC). Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- "Thistle Sign Goalkeeper". Partick Thistle F.C. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Macdonald, Kenny (17 November 2012). "Hamilton 1 Partick Thistle 0: Partick Thistle's ham-fisted debut goalie costs them match with own goal". Daily Record (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Graeme Smith Signs Until End of the Season". AyrUnitedFC.co.uk (AyrUnitedFC.co.uk). 14 February 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2013.
- "Graeme Smith signs for Ayr until end of season". The Scotsman (Johnston Publishing). 14 February 2013. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Latest Signing". (Brechin City FC). brechincity.com. 3 July 2013. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- "Graeme Smith Stays On". Brechin City F.C. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2014.