Gran Turismo (album)
|Studio album by The Cardigans|
|Released||1 October 1998|
|Genre||Alternative rock, electronic rock, ambient rock|
|The Cardigans chronology|
|Singles from Gran Turismo|
|Entertainment Weekly||B+ link|
|The Hofstra Chronicle||(Highly favourable) link|
Gran Turismo is the fourth studio album by Swedish band The Cardigans, released internationally on 1 October 1998 and in November 1998 in the United States. It features a darker and more moody type of music, mixing with more electronic sounds.
In an interview in 2009, producer and sound engineer Tore Johansson commented on the dark sound of the record, which sets it apart from the warm, jammy feel of many other recordings made at Tambourine Studios: "It's a very cold and defined recording, no natural reverb or audio curtains: there's not a sound element on that disc which wasn't deliberately put there." Gran Turismo sold more than 3 million copies worldwide.
The album's name is explained by the band on an advanced copy of this CD's track number 15 Explain The Title Of The Album ' Gran Turismo': "The title can be interpreted in many ways but I think we only thought of a few ones we liked" Nina says, "we talked about having like Italian or French title and Gran Turismo came up and it sort of felt really good and you know I can think of music sometimes as tourism and traveling. So to me Gran Turismo is sort of the way to describe music sometimes or spending time with music" Peter says, "and I think that also the title suits this very album extremely well because the album is pretty much about trying to find your place in the world. I think sometimes you can always compare living to being a tourist in the world" Nina finishes.
- "Paralyzed" (Nina Persson, Peter Svensson) – 4:54
- "Erase/Rewind" (Persson, Svensson) – 3:35
- "Explode" (Persson, Svensson) – 4:04
- "Starter" (Persson, Svensson) – 3:49
- "Hanging Around" (Persson, Svensson) – 3:40
- "Higher" (Persson, Svensson) – 4:32
- "Marvel Hill" (Persson, Magnus Sveningsson, Svensson) – 4:16
- "My Favourite Game" (Persson, Svensson) – 3:36
- "Do You Believe" (Persson, Svensson) – 3:19
- "Junk of the Hearts" (Persson, Sveningsson, Svensson) – 4:07
- "Nil" (Lars-Olof Johansson) – 2:18
- Peter Svensson - guitar, vocals
- Magnus Sveningsson - bass, vocals
- Bengt Lagerberg - drums, percussion
- Lars-Olof Johansson - keyboards, piano
- Nina Persson - lead vocals
- My Favourite Game (10 October 1998, #14 UK)
- Erase/Rewind (28 February 1999, #7 UK)
- Hanging Around (17 July 1999, #17 UK)
- Gran Turismo Overdrive EP (The Cardigans remixed by Nåid) (19 November 1999, released outside the UK)
Charts, awards and certifications
- UK Top 200 Albums: #8, spent 92 weeks in the Top 200
- Grammis Awards 1998: Album of the Year and Pop/Rock Group of the Year.
|Belgium (Flanders) Ultratip 50 Albums (BEA)||11|
|Belgium (Wallonia) Ultratop 50 Albums (BEA)||18|
|Finland Albums Chart (ÄKT / IFPI Finland)||18|
|France Album Chart (SNEP)||44|
|Japan Album Chart Oricon||22|
|Netherlands Album Chart (GfK)||27|
|New Zealand Albums Chart (RIANZ)||7|
|Norway Albums Chart (Nielsen SoundScan)||2|
|Sweden Albums Chart (SRIA)||1|
|Austria Albums Chart (Musikmarkt)||43|
|United Kingdom Albums Chart (CIN)||8|
|United States Billboard 200||151|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||Platinum||50,000^|
|Sweden (GLF)||2× Platinum||160,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Swedish Top 100 Singles: "My Favourite Game"; #3, "Erase/Rewind"; #12,
- UK Top 75 Singles: "My Favourite Game"; #14, "Erase/Rewind"; #7, "Hanging Around"; #17
- Billboard Modern Rock Tracks: "My Favourite Game"; #16
- Canadian Singles Chart: "My Favourite Game"; #19
Covers and appearances in other media
The album is possibly named after the racing video game series Gran Turismo; for which the song, My Favourite Game plays during the opening video of the Arcade disc of the racing game Gran Turismo 2. In the European version, the song was a remix. The song was also used as the song for Formula One's musical highlights at the end of the 1998 season on ITV.
- "GT sales". Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "The Cardigans - Gran Turismo". www.ultratop.be.
- "Cardigans album sales ranking". Oricon. Retrieved June 22, 2012.
- "Cardigans Platinumskiva för 50000 sålda skivor av 'Gran Turismo' 1998". Lauritz.com (in Swedish). Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "French album certifications – The Cardigans – Gran Turismo" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1999" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "British album certifications – The Cardigans – Gran Turismo". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Gran Turismo in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search