Grand Baton (band)
JC Maillard of Grand Baton performing at Variety Playhouse in Atlanta, September 2015
|Origin||New York City, United States|
|Genres||Progressive rock, Afro-Caribbean music, electronic rock, jazz fusion|
|Years active||2006 - Present|
|Associated acts||Lisa Fischer|
Grand Baton is an Afro-Caribbean, progressive rock and jazz fusion band based in New York City. The band was founded by the composer, arranger, guitarist, pianist, singer and songwriter Jean-Cristophe (JC) Maillard, a native of Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe.
Grand Baton, founded by Maillard in 2006, currently[when?] performs as a trio and consists of Maillard on vocals, guitar, keyboards and the SazBass, Thierry Arpino on drums and percussion, and Aidan Carroll on upright and electric bass.
Collaboration and touring
In 2013, Grand Baton began its collaboration with the vocalist Lisa Fischer and Maillard serves as the band's musical director and arranger. Since beginning their tour in 2014, The Ms. Lisa Fischer and Grand Baton Tour has performed in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
Grand Baton and Fischer have also performed together at several jazz festivals including The Monterey Jazz Festival in 2014, The Newport Jazz Festival in 2015 and The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival in 2017.
Grand Baton and Fischer collaborated with The Seattle Symphony in February 2018 for the musical program Just A Kiss Away in which rock and roll anthems including The Rolling Stone's "Gimme Shelter" and Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" were recreated from an orchestral perspective.
In 2014, the line-up of Grand Baton was:
|JC Maillard||Guitars, sazbass, keyboards, lead vocals, backing vocals||Music director, founder|
|Thierry Arpino||Drums, percussion, cajón||Member|
|Aidan Carroll||Bass guitar, double bass, backing vocals||Member|
The former members and/or contributors of Grand Baton include the following musicians:
|Arno Dolmen||Drums, ka drums|
|Philippe Makaïa||Ka drums|
|Didier Juste||Ka drums|
|Sonny Troupe||Ka drums|
|Olivier Juste||Ka drums|
|Etienne Mbappe||Bass guitar|
|Linley Marthe||Bass guitar|
|Fabrice Fanfant||Bass guitar|
|Alexis Hadefi||Bass guitar|
|Le Grand Baton|
- Carol Banks Weber (June 6, 2016). "Lisa Fischer and Grand Baton: Breath of fresh air for near-capacity Jazz Alley". AXS. Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- Christophe Jenny (November 1, 2007). "Jean-Christophe Maillard – guitare". le Bananier bleu - Musiques Jazz Afro-Caribéennes. Retrieved January 11, 2017.
- Andrew Gilbert (March 31, 2015). "Lisa Fischer loving life, career, after Stardom". The Marin Independent Journal. Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- Charisse Van Horn (April 5, 2016). "Grammy winner Lisa Fischer and Grand Baton play Washington, D.C., Howard Theatre". AXS. Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- Kristine Walton (March 12, 2016). "Lisa Fischer and Grand Baton at Thalia Hall in Chicago, IL on 05-Mar-2016". National Rock Review. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- Michael Popke (July 22, 2008). "Le Grand Baton Review". Sea Of Tranquility. Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- Andrei Cherascu (March 29, 2015). "Grand Baton's Carnal Carnival – the timeless allegorical spirit of the carnival and the streamlined vibrations of modern electronic music". The Music and Myth. Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- Kristine Walton (September 8, 2016). "Lisa Fischer & Grand Baton at the City Winery in Chicago, IL". National Rock Review. Retrieved October 23, 2017.
- Laura Horley (February 11, 2016). "Zero Feet from Stardom: Lisa Fischer". Tuscan Weekly. Retrieved October 23, 2017.
- Charisse Van Horn (March 28, 2016). "Rolling Stones Play Cuba While Lisa Fischer and Grand Baton Announce New Tour Dates". INQUISITR. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- Yvette d'Entremont (October 20, 2016). "Lisa Fischer and Grand Baton back for Halifax show". Metro News. Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- Patrick McDonald (June 19, 2016). "Adelaide Cabaret Festival 2016 review: Ms Lisa Fischer and Grand Baton". The Advertiser. Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- Bill Brownstein (October 26, 2016). "Lisa Fischer raises her voice at Maison symphonique". The Montreal Gazette. Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- Walter Atkins (September 20, 2014). "A Day at The Monterey Jazz Festival 2014". BAM Magazine. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- Carolyn McClair (January 30, 2015). "Newport Jazz Festival Adds Jack DeJohnette: Made in Chicago and Ms. Lisa Fischer and Grand Baton to 2015 Lineup". All About Jazz. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- "Stevie Wonder, Tom Petty, Dave Matthews To Headline 2017 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival". Biz New Orleans. January 27, 2017. Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- Dave Segal, Kim Selling, Rich Smith (December 6, 2017). "The Best Classical Music & Opera in Seattle: Winter 2017/2018". The Stranger. Retrieved December 7, 2017.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- The contributor/member listing is compiled from the liner notes included in the booklet insert of each Grand Baton album.
- Carlos Vaz (June 23, 2008). "Le Grand Baton Review". Progressive Rock & Progressive Metal. Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- Lior Stein (April 6, 2008). "Le Grand Baton Review Independent". Metal Express Radio. Retrieved December 25, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grand Baton.|