Green Township, Hocking County, Ohio
|Green Township, Hocking County, Ohio|
The William H. Woodruff House, southeast of Logan
Location of Green Township in Hocking County
|• Total||37.1 sq mi (96.2 km2)|
|• Land||37.0 sq mi (95.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||922 ft (281 m)|
|• Density||69.8/sq mi (26.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086319|
Green Township is one of the eleven townships of Hocking County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,585 people in the township, 2,280 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Falls Township (northeastern portion) - north
- Ward Township - east
- York Township, Athens County - southeast corner
- Starr Township - south
- Washington Township - southwest
- Falls Township (southwestern portion) - west
- Marion Township - northwest
Name and history
Green Township was organized in 1825.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hocking County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Hocking Valley, Ohio. Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883. p. 1021.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.