Greg Evans (cartoonist)
Greg Evans (born November 13, 1947) is an American cartoonist and the creator of the syndicated comic strip Luann. He received the 2003 National Cartoonists Society Reuben Award for the strip. He has been nominated four other times for the same award.
In 100 Years of American Newspaper Comics, Dennis Wepman wrote that Evans "taught junior and senior high school art in his native California, worked as promotion manager and graphic artist for a TV station in Colorado, and entertained with a robot at trade shows and fairs before he sold Luann to News America Syndicate in 1984."
Prior to Luann, Evans published the comic strip Fogarty, distributed free to high school newspapers. It featured the character Mr. Fogarty, who continues in the same role as a character in Luann.
Evans lives in San Marcos, California, near San Diego. With his wife Betty he has three children, including daughter Karen, whose own experiences as a teenager influenced Luann.
One of Evans' children, Rhonda, born around the time Evans had met his wife in college, was put up for adoption. 30 years later, Rhonda discovered that she was adopted. When reading the Sunday comics, she realized that an artist's name matched the name on her adoption papers. She contacted Evans, who was shocked. Evans and his wife eventually met Rhonda, whose story was told in an episode of the PAX-TV series, It's a Miracle.
- Moss, Andrea (March 16, 2010). "Popular 'Luann' comic strip turns 25". North County Times. Archived from the original on March 23, 2010. Retrieved March 17, 2010.
- Tobin, Suzanne (June 4, 2004). "Comics: Luann". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 17, 2010.
- Inkpot Award
- Navarro, Linda (June 24, 2020). "A look back in Colorado Springs: 'Luann's' Greg Evans had Colorado Springs comic newsletter". The Gazette. Colorado Springs, Colorado. Retrieved December 29, 2020.
- Kragen, Pam (September 22, 2013). "Real 'Luann' now cowriting comic strip". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- Cedar1956 (2016-08-25), It's a Miracle - PAXTV series, archived from the original on 2021-12-22, retrieved 2018-03-18