Gretchen J. Berg
Gretchen J. Berg
|Other names||Gretchen Berg|
|Alma mater||Northwestern University|
Gretchen J. Berg (born February 8, 1971) is an American writer and television producer. She has worked extensively with her writer and producing partner Aaron Harberts on a number of television series including Pushing Daisies and Revenge. She was also one of the showrunners of Star Trek: Discovery alongside Harberts until their departure in June 2018. In 2019, the team of Gretchen J. Berg and Aaron Harberts joined Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist on NBC as writers and executive producers.
Gretchen J. Berg was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and went on to attend Northwestern University. While there, she met future writing and producing partner Aaron Harberts. Their first work was on Beverly Hills, 90210. Together the pair created the series Pepper Dennis on The WB and worked as executive producers. Berg and Harberts were also co-executive producers on Pushing Daisies and co-showrunners on the medical drama Mercy. In 2010, Berg and Harberts agreed a deal with the studio ABC in 2010 under a two year deal, initially as executive producers on the midseason replacement Off the Map. The duo became showrunners of the drama GCB, through their deal with ABC.
Berg and Harberts worked with Mark Gordon in pitching work to television studios in 2012, with sales to both ABC and NBC. Their deal with ABC was extended for a further two years in 2013, and moved to become executive producers from season three onwards of Revenge, where they previously had been consulting producers. Berg and Harberts were recruited as executive producers on Star Trek: Discovery, under showrunner Bryan Fuller. The trio had previously worked on Pushing Daisies together. They were two of several executive producers, alongside Heather Kadin and Akiva Goldsman. When Fuller stepped back from the showrunner role on Discovery, Berg and Harberts were promoted into the position together.
Gretchen J. Berg and Aaron Harberts' most recent project is the current NBC musical comedy-drama series Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. As an executive producing and writing team, Berg and Harberts help navigate the decisions Zoey must make regarding whether to reveal her secrets, and the resulting impacts on her relationships. The characters on this hour-long musical drama express their inner-most feelings and desires to Zoey through frequent musical numbers. The first episode aired January 7, 2020.
- Goldberg, Lesley (June 14, 2018). "'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunners Out; Alex Kurtzman to Take Over (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- Thomas, Galt (April 22, 2020). "Recent project Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-04-22.
- "Berg, Gretchen J." StarTrek.com. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- "CBS All Access" (PDF). CBS Press Express. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 7, 2010). "Gretchen Berg And Aaron Harberts Sign Overall Deal At ABC Studios". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 13, 2011). "Gretchen Berg And Aaron Harberts To Run ABC's Good Christian Belles". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 13, 2012). "Mark Gordon Co., Writers Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts Sell Drama Co-Created By Josh Duhamel To ABC, Another To NBC". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 21, 2013). "Gretchen Berg & Aaron Harberts Sign New Overall Deal With ABC Studios, Will Be Executive Producers On ABC's Revenge". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Birnbaum, Debra (October 26, 2013). "Bryan Fuller Stepping Back From Showrunner Role on Star Trek: Discovery (Exclusive)". Variety. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Lambe, Stacy (September 22, 2017). "The Women Behind Fall 2017's Best TV". CBS8. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Thomas, Galt (April 22, 2020). "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist Official Work Status". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2020-04-22.
- Thomas, Galt (April 22, 2020). "Official show page by NBC". NBC. Retrieved 2020-04-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gretchen J. Berg.|