This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Roanoke, Virginia and Seattle, Washington|
|Products||Energy management systems
Energy management software
Utility load and storage management software
Utility customer engagement platforms
History and growth
GridPoint was founded in 2003 by Peter L. Corsell. Through its early growth and into 2009, GridPoint’s Smart Grid Platform provided an intelligent network for utilities to integrate load measurement and control devices, energy storage technologies, and renewable energy sources into the electric grid.
In 2009, the company began leveraging the data and analytics research and knowledge from its utility-facing smart grid technologies to develop energy management solutions for the enterprise and government sectors.
Later that year, GridPoint acquired ADMMicro, a developer of energy management systems for the commercial and industrial (C&I) sector and Lixar, a cloud-based energy management software technology company.
Technology and services
GridPoint’s integrated energy management solution includes hardware, software and services that collect data about equipment-level energy consumption and building environmental conditions, aggregate and analyze that data and then communicate what actions can be taken to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions, improve operational efficiency and capital utilization and help ensure business continuity.
Energy management hardware
GridPoint’s real-time controllers manage lighting schedules and HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) temperature setpoints across a network of facilities. Equipment-level submeters measure circuit-level power consumption for equipment such as individual HVAC units, chiller boiler systems, lighting, refrigeration, kitchen equipment, plug loads and signage and monitoring devices collect environmental data such as temperature, humidity and CO2 levels. Captured data is then fed into the GridPoint Energy Manager software platform.
Energy management software
GridPoint’s energy management software platform, GridPoint Energy Manager, is a cloud-based data aggregation and analytics engine that presents equipment-level energy consumption and building environmental information through SaaS-based dashboards, reports and alarms. The software platform can be used with either GridPoint equipment or third-party hardware via open, standards-based public interfaces. The software platform also includes demand response functionality and renewable energy integration for technologies such as solar, fuel cells and wind.
Energy management services
GridPoint’s energy management services include energy advisory services, advanced reporting, custom savings analyses, alarm management, facility triage, equipment diagnoses and training.
GridPoint’s current utility solutions include enterprise energy management and submetering systems to support utilities’ commercial and industrial customers by providing information about energy consumption patterns and load and storage management solutions that capture and dispatch energy by storage assets located in a utility's transmission and distribution system. For residential utility customers, GridPoint provides software-based dashboards that provide information about energy consumption, predicted energy usage and carbon impact.
Awards and recognition
GridPoint has received various honors including designation as a 2008 Technology Pioneer by The World Economic Forum, inclusion in the 2009 Global Cleantech 100 by The Guardian and Cleantech Group, the 2013 Customer Value Leadership Award for Building Energy Management Solutions from Frost & Sullivan and selection as a 2013 Top 10 Enterprise Smart Grid Leader by Groom Energy.
The company has also been referenced in books including Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas Friedman, The Clean Tech Revolution by Ron Pernick and Clint Wilder, Perfect Power by Robert Galvin and Kurt Yeager and Earth: The Sequel by Fred Krupp.
- "Movers & Shakers Interview with newly appointed CEO, Todd M. Raba, GridPoint, Inc". Frost & Sullivan. November 7, 2013.
- "Wendy's franchisee slashed costs with energy management system". Chain Store Age. December 28, 2013.
- "USPS Inks $28.7M Deal to Cut Energy Costs". Environmental Leader. May 25, 2010.
- "Postal Service Turns to GridPoint to Cut Energy Use". Washington Post. May 24, 2010.
- "GridPoint Gets into Solar Integration with SMUD, ComEd". Greentech Media. November 3, 2009.
- "2013 Customer Value Leadership Award, North American Building Energy Management Solutions" (PDF). Frost & Sullivan. September 2013.
- "Green Quadrant ® Energy Management Software (Global) Report" (PDF). Verdantix. January 2013.
- "GridPoint Named Among Top Global Vendors for Energy Management Software by Independent Analyst Firm". The Wall Street Journal. January 22, 2013.
- "Businessweek Tech Pioneers". Bloomberg Businessweek. November 28, 2007.
- Esther Dyson (June 2005). "Dr. Market: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Lose Control" (PDF). CNET.
- "Innovators Under 35, 2008". MIT Technology Review. August 2008.
- "GridPoint One of Five 'Companies to Watch' in 'Utilities Get Enlightened' Trend in Clean Energy Trends Report 2007". Intelligent Utility. April 11, 2007.
- "Success Story: GridPoint". Master Plans Blog. November 3, 2008.
- "Thought Leaders: Energy Management Systems and the Smart Grid". Smart Grid Insights by Zpryme Research. June 4, 2013.
- "Smart-grid companies feel growing pains". CNET. June 2, 2010.
- "GridPoint Takes Aim at Energy Management". Navigant Research. November 5, 2012.
- "GridPoint Refocuses on Enterprise Energy Management". The Washington Post. October 4, 2012.
- "GridPoint Buys ADMMicro, Strengthens Commercial and Industrial Presence". Clean Edge. November 10, 2009.
- "GridPoint Acquires ADMMicro". Sustainable Business. November 10, 2009.
- "GridPoint Acquires ADMMicro, Extending Smart Grid Solutions to Commercial & Industrial Customers". Reuters. November 9, 2009.
- "GridPoint buys energy business from Lixar". Washington Business Journal. June 29, 2009.
- "GridPoint Acquires Lixar`s Energy Business, Enhances Smart Grid Software Platform and Establishes Canadian Presence". Reuters. June 29, 2009.
- "GridPoint Appoints Board Member Todd Raba CEO". Washington Business Journal. October 17, 2013.
- "Appointment of Todd Raba as new CEO of GridPoint, Inc. - A crucial turn for the company and the enterprise energy management solutions industry". Frost & Sullivan. October 17, 2013.
- "New at the top: To meet Warren Buffett, this outdoorsman didn't stay lost in the woods". The Washington Post. October 27, 2013.
- "MidAmerican Energy names Raba president". Mason City Globe Gazette. August 5, 2004.
- "GridPoint Software Displays, Analyses, and Controls Energy Endpoints". Solar Novus Today. June 28, 2011.
- "GridPoint Enables Cost Savings in Retail Sectors with Data-Driven Approach to Energy Management". Greenech Lead. November 13, 2012.
- "GridPoint Takes Energy Management to the Cloud". Greenbang. July 25, 2011.
- "GridPoint Selected by World Economic Forum as 2008 Technology Pioneer". Reuters. November 29, 2007.
- "GridPoint Makes Global Cleantech 100 List". Washington Business Journal. September 29, 2009.
- "2013 Enterprise Smart Grid Leaders". Groom Energy. 2013.
- "New Report Highlights Latest Market Trends and Names Ten 2013 Enterprise Smart Grid Leaders". Groom Energy. July 16, 2013.
- Friedman, Thomas. "Chapter 12, The Energy Internet: When IT Meets ET". Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution and How It Can Renew America. New York, NY: Picador.
- Robert Galvin; Kurt Yeager (2008). Perfect Power: How the Microgrid Revolution Will Unleash Cleaner, Greener, More Abundant Energy. New York, NY: Mc-Graw-Hill.
- Krupp, Fred (2008). Earth: the Sequel: The Race to Reinvent Energy and Stop Global Warming. New York, NY: Norton and Company. ISBN 9780393334197.
- Pernick, Ron and Clint Wilder (2007). The Clean Tech Revolution. Collins. pp. 183, 286, 397. ISBN 9780061740466.
- "Goldman Sachs Powers Up GridPoint". New York Times, September 27, 2006.
- "GridPoint Takes $120 Million". New York Times, September 24, 2008.